1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rewards

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sally006, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

I’m looking for ideas of how to best reward upper KS2 children that is motivational, manageable and cost effective. Dojos and stickers just don’t motivate our older children. All ideas welcome.

2. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Tell them that the more effort they put in the better the outcome. They will then feel great pride at producing the best work they can. Best reward possible.

Or, just tell them they can have a golden time afternoon at the end of term if they work well.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

The old 'marbles in a jar' to be 'redeemed' at the end of term for some treat can be quite effective.

UKS2 we used to give 'stamps' collected on a card and then every 25 / 50 / 100 stamps were rewarded with a certificate presented in Assembly. Stamps could be awarded for behaviour as well as work effort / good work, so all children could earn them.

4. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

We do all of that but sometimes something more immediate is needed as it may take a while to earn the bigger rewards. I accept that perfect students should be motivated by their own progress and achievements without any reward but some you just can’t reach that way. We have tried Golden Time which had to be earned but we found it very hard to manage well. Not enough bodies to offer really motivating things as those things had costs attached or needed to be in small groups. Trust me we’ve tried all such things but they inevitably run into resourcing issues.

5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

We have also tried most of them, Sally006. The half-termly pebble jar took too long for UKS2, and they're certainly not motivated by Dojos and stickers, as you say. They not particularly interested in being at the top of the success ladder, either. With our current Year 6, we're finding the instant reward of '5 minutes early for play if we can all continue this amazing focus on our writing' works well, and also the Friday afternoon 45 minutes of golden time. We try to organise staff so that those who want to (invariably boys) can go outside to play football; girls can watch a movie or dance to on-line music; sometimes I-pads for those who want them. It all takes supervision but is manageable. We've also invested in a dozen packs of cards, which they love - we've taught them several games.

Sally006 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

The most popular golden time activity is generally get out PE equipment and have an extra break time.

cassandramark2 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

strangely, these are the things my post 16 classes have loved!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

How about Secret Students? At the beginning of each day, or even lesson, choose a student - or two of three students - at random, and then they earn a reward if they have good behaviour and/or effort?

Forgive me for asking, but is it possible that this is a staff issue? I don't mean to impugn your professionalism of that of your colleagues at all. But could the school perhaps benefit from a more positive and consistent attitude of teachers towards the rewards system? I just ask because a consistently applied system of rewards and sanctions does usually work, no matter what are the students are, as was noted above.

9. adam_nichol

adam_nichol Occasional commenter

My son is in Yr2, they offer table points - earned individually and collectively. These can be spent on low-value rewards; current favourites tend to be whatever trading card variant is currently ruling the Yr2 kids economy