1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rewards for year 5s

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Mctear1996, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Hi. I've been working with KS1 as a TA and have been moved to KS2 from Sept. I'll be working with a lower maths group and wondered if anyone had any ideas for rewards for great work. Its been relatively easy working with yrs 1 & 2 as they are delighted with a sticker. Teacher awards wristbands for outstanding work. Any ideas please?

2. Hi. I've been working with KS1 as a TA and have been moved to KS2 from Sept. I'll be working with a lower maths group and wondered if anyone had any ideas for rewards for great work. Its been relatively easy working with yrs 1 & 2 as they are delighted with a sticker. Teacher awards wristbands for outstanding work. Any ideas please?

3. I work as a TA in Year 5 and I often work with the lower ability maths group. I find verbal praise goes a long way, they really appreciate when I highlight (literally with a highlighter) the positives in their work and pick out the best bits. I also give them team/house points whenever they work hard.

4. Thanks for the reply littlemssstickles. :)

5. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

Hi
    I work 1-1 with a child in year 3 who is lower ability for maths and literacy, and when I work with him there are also another 3 children in the group. I always follow my 1-1 children up to year 5. What I have is a reward box with various things in it from chocolate ( making sure children are allowed chocolate) to things like pencils with note books attached, stretchy men, calculators, rubber dinosaurs that stick to walls when thrown. just bits and bobs really all available from ebay and asda not expensive. Some of the children do have my stickers they are smelly ones coca cola, apple, strawberry and chocolate. The children know that who ever tries the hardest will get a reward, sometimes if all have tried hard they will all get one, but those that have tried will always get a sticker if they so wish. Some TA's think I am mad to offer this others totally agree and do the same so mixed feelings on this one. The children within the group all know that the rewards are not just given out they do have to try hard. On the odd occasion I have not given out anything if I felt that no-one had deserved it. Also lots of verbal praise goes a long way, and if a piece of work is exceptionally good the child is sent to the head with their work and the head also offers praise and rewards.

6. Thanks for the great advice. Might talk this through with the teacher next week.

7. Smelly stickers, which they love!

8. I used to run a lower ability maths group and I took the opportunity to use their maths by them collecting coins (had loads of 1p. 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p and £1 coins) plastic that is [​IMG] They would earn coins for good work. They loved counting how much they had. At the end of a week I would let them buy something from the shop. I had rubbers, pencils, little notebooks, sweets, stickers (any stickers or cards going free at supermakets are worth collecting) etc. I found this worked really well. Just give out the 1ps and let them trade for higher value coins. Give a 2p if the work is very good. etc