1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rewarding progress.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jun 25, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Are you sure that her progress is down to her making more effort than absolutely everyone else in the class? Could it be that she just had an off week last year and a good week this year? Could it be that she just didn't gel with last year's teacher and has with you? Could it be that the year 5 tests do not give an accurate reflection of her ability? Had she coasted for a year or two and so is just 'catching up' now?

Therefore should she get a reward at all?

2. james.

james. New commenter

I agree with what you say, and all those things could be a factor, and probably are to some extent. They have made progress every year, and I would say she works incredibly hard, but so do others too.

I do think though that we are very quick to award achievements in certain areas, sports, music, etc., where as other areas have to be about attitude rather than attainment.

She has worked hard, and achieved, I feel it should be recognised, but just not sure how.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If she has done nothing more than many others, then she should get no more reward them them, imo. Unless you are happy to reward attainment, which I don't necessarily disagree with.

4. You say you have just finished the Year 5 QCAs and found these results to be above what you thought she would be at. DO NOT PASS HER RESULTS OVER SOLELY ON THE BASIS OF THIS ONE SET OF TESTS!! The Year 5 QCAs, if you use the same as us, are very generous in the marking we find. Please use your teacher assessment from all year around.
    Apologies for possibly teaching grandma to suck eggs but it does happen. Good idea would be to have the Year 6 teachers moderate with you.

5. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I find the year 5 QCA's to be hugely over inflated. Most of my class came back as 1 or 2 sublevels higher than I'd teacher assessed them to be last year. Luckily I followed the class up to year 6 so I knew to not trust the levels. I'm still not entirely sure how one of my SEN children who didn't use a single capital letter or full stop ANYWHERE in either of his writing papers got marked as a 3A.

6. Have we all gone mad? Surely the blooming reward of getting a good grade, IS THAT PIGGING GRADE?!
    Grrr, no wonder children have no blooming love of learning or education. What's a teacher's reward for getting an 'outstanding' or 'good' lesson observation? The joy of getting that grade, nothing more - surely we should be teaching them how the real world works as well as division and spellings - this is Year 5 after all, not year 1 or 2.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Stated sooo much better than anything I could have written!

8. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Took the words right out of my mouth!
    She's already had her reward, James, and will continue to do so if she does well throughout her life. Leave it at that.
    ....Or do you want to parade her progress in public...?? Might it reflect on what a fantastic teacher you are....???? (sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, but I really hate the whole awards assembly, let's watch the same kids be feted again and again...)

9. james.

james. New commenter

I think this has slightly gone off the point I was trying to make. I completely agree that the grades are rewards in themselves, and this is something I have tried to get my class to understand. I don't think it's about rewards as much as recognition. It certainly isn't to parade progress in public, I would feel very embarrassed if that is what people thought. I was thinking more along the lines of communicating the progress to parents. This is why I was unsure of what to do, I don't want it to be a big thing that parades it, but I do want it to be recognise as I think they deserve it, and their parents should know how well they have done.

10. Well if that is the case what is wrong with grabbing the parents at the end of the day and saying 'ooh I am really pleased with the progress x has made'.
    Or even better....It is report writing time. Put it in there.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Well that bit is easy. Ring the parents and let them know their child has made 5 sublevels progress in all subjects this year. Good progress is considered to be 2 sublevels and so their child has done really, really well.

Why would the HT, who has an awful lot of work to do, need to make a special certificate as you suggested in your first post?

12. And please, please make sure that you are happy with the levels that you are stating to the parents. Do not solely base them on the QCA results. The Year 6 teacher will not be happy!

13. james.

james. New commenter

We have a school policy of not telling parents levels, and I do think whole school recognition is important which is why I thought it should come from the head teacher. Obviously I've already spoken to parents, I try to keep them informed as much as possible, but without being able to tell them the levels it's quite hard to convey how well they have done. I do take on board all your points though. Also, I'm moving up with them into Year 6, so it'd be myself I'd be making hard work for :)