1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reward systems

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chico193, Aug 15, 2009.

1. I am altering my reward systems for September and am wondering what others think of my ideas.
    We have a whole school point system which I will use for good work and good listening.
    I am also going to try marbles in the jar as a whole class incentive. (People who do this, do you remove marbles as well as award them?)
    I then have various small rewards like a trophy to sit on the table, special pencils, stickers and reward cards to collect stickers for children with specific targets and IEP targets, a display for excellent work etc. Some of these tie in with the points system and some are just for recognition.
    What do you think about having different small rewards for different behaviours eg. being tidy, extra effort?
    My idea is that I am only having two reward systems but then using a few other incentives like stickers as encouragement. I also read someone else say that they refused to reward for ordinary expected behaviour and I am going to try going along these lines - the point for listening only comes with sustained periods of good listening and for the line they have to be caught several times to get the reward.

2. I am altering my reward systems for September and am wondering what others think of my ideas.
    We have a whole school point system which I will use for good work and good listening.
    I am also going to try marbles in the jar as a whole class incentive. (People who do this, do you remove marbles as well as award them?)
    I then have various small rewards like a trophy to sit on the table, special pencils, stickers and reward cards to collect stickers for children with specific targets and IEP targets, a display for excellent work etc. Some of these tie in with the points system and some are just for recognition.
    What do you think about having different small rewards for different behaviours eg. being tidy, extra effort?
    My idea is that I am only having two reward systems but then using a few other incentives like stickers as encouragement. I also read someone else say that they refused to reward for ordinary expected behaviour and I am going to try going along these lines - the point for listening only comes with sustained periods of good listening and for the line they have to be caught several times to get the reward.

3. I don't use the marbles in the jar in my classroom but I don't think you should remove marbles for poor behaviour etc. Instead have a separate sanction system - I use a chart with all the children's names on it and simply put a cross by the side of it if they make a poor choice about behaviour/effort and each cross corresponds to a minute off Golden Time.
    I do reward for expected behaviour - giving house points for good listening, sitting still etc - but I have had a series of difficult classes so for the first term or so I always have to do this in order to make sure that they begin to repeat these behaviours.
    At the beginning of the term I take a photo of each child and laminate a small copy of this. I have a series of pictures of balloons, each one represents a different attribute. (These are linked to the ELLI characters that we use as a whole school.) eg I stick at it. I link what I am learning now to what I learnt before. I am responsible. If a child shows one of these attributes I put their photo on the balloon and they get a sticker and a raffle ticket. These raffle tickets go into a prize draw and the children have the chance at the end of each week to win a small prize.
    I also have a sun and rainbow. All the children have a sunbeam with their name on. I have a rainbow on which their sunbeam is placed for good work behaviour and a series of clouds for poor behaviour. The children on the rainbow get a raffle ticket and go into the same draw as the children on the balloon.
    Hope some of these ideas are useful.

4. re marbles would not remove them. There is great jar for IWB on Brendens site and on Fiery ideas site

5. Some good ideas there MissC.
    Marbles - the reason why I was considering removing them was that in the past I have done a similar whole class system leading to a treat and the children have got the last marble, then misbehaved shortly after and ended up having a treat on the same day (and it was whole class poor behaviour not just a couple of individuals). I don't like the message this sends - you can work hard for a reward, then once you have got it not bother lining up properly, waste lots of time and get a reward anyway.
    I am changing around my previous systems to fit in with the school a bit better. What I was doing was great at my old school but didn't really work last year. I think the children need to have responsibility - they are expected to follow the rules and just doing what is expected isn't deserving of reward. They were getting lots of rewards but still wasting time and not completing work in between whiles so getting lots of sanctions at the same time - and they weren't particularly "challenging" children really.
    What do people think about having a few different small rewards for different things? Is it too confusing or are different incentives a good thing?

6. Personally I stick to one clear routine and system for the whole class.Having worked with children having severe difficulties I find that too many systems gets confusing for everyone and becomes more difficult to remain consistent and fair.

7. We use merits as incentives - the chn get a merit book at the beginning of the year and get a stamp in their merit card for good behaviour, work, attitude etc. They get a small prize when they reach 10, 25, 50 merits etc and a certificate in the celebration assesmbly. I only award merits for above average expectations and give positive praise and reinforcement when chn are doing as they are expected.
    We also use 'star of the week' where a child who has done something which stands out or has been exceptionally hard working/well behaved that week whereby they recieve a certificate in the celebration assemby and are given a head teachers award and a prize. The star of the week also gets their name in the schools 'gold book' which is displayed in the entrance for visitors to flick through.
    I tend not to use the same initiative for rewards and sanctions - if a child has done something which warrents a sanction i try to ensure it is unrelated to rewards they have earnt - after all it was earnt. We use break/lunch detentions, isolations in the classroom and removal from the classroom along with phonecalls to parents and parent meetings. however it very rarely gets that far - we liase closely with parents and if there has been an issue which needs discussing but is not serious tend to have a short informal conversation at the end of the day. this is usually enough.
    Remember though that reward systems only work if they are right for your class, your school and you. [​IMG]

8. s1oux

s1oux New commenter

I'm trying something new this yeear. I've found some fake Euro notes - all very colourful, in 1, 5, 10, 100, 200, 500 units. I'm going to 'pay' the children as a reward system but only if they do things 'above and beyond' what is normally expected of them.

Once they have collected this money in their table groups, they can buy things for their table. I'm going to write up a price list with things like early play, play/lunchtime access to the ICT room, access to the prize box etc. I also thought I could be more adventurous so the children could 'pay' another table to do their tidying for a day / week - but we'll see about that one. It's a year 4 class and after having the same class last year, I KNOW they'll love this.

9. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I have been considering what to do for a while now.
    I'm quite a meanie i think, I was thinking of getting this "pirates treasure chest" i have and some plastic gold coins.
    Gold coins = treasure = golden time.
    No golden time unless treasure is collected! I'm of the opinion that golden time shouldn't be an automatic right and should be earnt. Coins will be earnt by excellent sitting on the carpet, lining up well, working quietly as a table, etc and individual children can earn them by being kind, and other exceptional things.
    However my only trouble is what value to give the gold coins. If i only give them a minute per coin - this means i'll have to be quite generous with the coins- making them too easy to earn, but if i give them 5 mins per coin- they'll have collected the full 30 mins in no time, or be so hard to get there won't be an incentive.
    I might price them at 2 mins per coin and then make sure i give out a few each day i think. Those then cannot be taken away- they've earnt it, they get it.

What do you guys think?
    Otherwise i was thinking of giving stickers, house points as well as certificates.

10. That sounds like a good idea and similar to what I was going to do with the marbles. The only problem I have is how to prevent them from earning a treat/golden time, then misbehaving but getting the treat anyway. If the class had already earnt the full time, then were generally noisy or not getting on with work, how would you deal with that? I think I will do as you have said, but if they are wasting time/not listening/not working and it is most of the class I will take the marbles out. They can always earn them back and I will not give treats when behaviour hasn't been good.
    What do others think about individuals' poor behaviour? Should they join in with golden time but miss playtime (the normal sanction)? Or would you have them miss some of golden time? Obviously if they were misbehaving during golden time then I would have them sit out.

11. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Sorry i got so focused on my rewards, i never mentioned my sanctions!
    basically I have and probably will always operate a 3 strikes and you're out policy.
    Children get a warning if they are being silly / misbehaving. I always always start with a warning. I always say something along the lines of "Bob, this is your warning, if you continue to (fill in the blank) I will put your name on the board and start taking minutes off your play time."
    So they get kind of a "free" warning. if it persists, i'll put their name on the board. For some it's enough to see their name there and the behaviour will stop.
    If it continues, i'll put a tick next to their name, and will continue to do so. At the end of the morning / before afternoon play, i'll tot up their ticks and they will miss that many minutes of playtime.
    They CAN earn their playtime back through good behaviour, but on the other hand i am willing to take bigger chunks depending on the mis-deed.

There are certain children in my new class who are renowned for misbehaving, and for them, i intend to have a home-school diary where I will write in front of the child how their day has been (including good stuff!) for mum and dad to read, and they can do the same from home.
    The other thing i like to do, do the famous old "Give em a choice" thing. If someone is being incredibly annoying, i'll say "Right you have a choice, you either go and take so many minutes sitting away from the classroom and calm down, or you calm down immediately. This behaviour is not good enough" and give them a sand timer if they choose to leave. I used this repeatedly during one PGCE placement and found that which ever path the child chose it usually worked because if they stayed in the classroom and continued to be silly - they kne would miss playtime to make up for it. and the time away from the class was a good opportunity for them to actually calm down away from the situation.
    I would like another personalised reward system though, something to encourage individual children not just as a whole group.

12. The school I have just left had a very strict sanction policy.
    2 strikes in a week and you lose all of your golden time (we had whole school golden time on a friday afternoon).

13. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Wow that is strict! Were the stikes quite hard to get?

14. No. When you work in a school with severe behaviour problems you have to be quite clear and strict.
    Things like hitting someone else, throwing things or storming out of the classroom get instant loss.

15. Sorry, meant to say no they were not hard to get.

16. Did you not find that there were some children who never had any golden time pinkflipflop?

17. For the first few weeks yes. Then sporadically they would lose it.
    The children who lost it most regularly were the most violent and aggresive.

18. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I can imagine that's true. I know when i did a similar system - taking minutes off golden time, it meant the same kids were sat on the carpet every week, and they ALWAYS made comments like "I never get any golden time anyway" and so lost their incentive to even try to be good!!!
    Which is why now- they earn golden time, not have it as a right and lose it!

19. They weren't aggressive and violent because of losing their golden time.

20. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Sorry i'm not saying that.
    What i meant is that the repeat offenders eventually lost the will to try and behave cause they knew it was pointless as they wouldn't get it anyway!