1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reward systems, do they work?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JulietBrake, Apr 12, 2011.

1. I am a third year student on a BA Hons in Primary Education. I am currently researching reward systems used in primary schools and wether they improve childrens motivation to learn or wether they just motivate them to recive the reward. I am focusing on what the children think about the different systems and how they rate them. I have come across different systems on teaching practices however would apreciate a more experienced viewpoint on the subject.

I wondered if any of you wonderful people could direct me towards any research in this area, or if there are any educational writers that are associated with this area.

Thank you in advance

2. This is an interesting thread and something that I haven't thought much about but perhaps should have.

I know there's lots of research out there, and other threads for that matter, but can I just ask something. I use raffle tickets in my class. I give them out when a child does something excellent or demonstrates excellent behaviour. Often raffle tickets are given out for children who come in straight from break and sit down ready for what's next, or for children who answer the mega-hard challenge question in a maths plenary etc. I know lots of teacher use this system (I got the idea from here originally!), so where does it fit in with giving out physical rewards for good work? We have a draw and they win something from the box (pens, sharpeners etc,). Should we be doing this at all then? What are your views? I think this is a really interesting discussion point.

3. Because rewards systems have an impact on such young learners it is important that they are used and monitored correctly. At a primary school my daughter attends has a reward where children get to sit at top table on Friday at lunch for and have icrcream for a treat. however, and in my daughters case she has been forgotten and watched children around her who misbehave on a regular basis get top table. this has had a very negative impact and now our child wonders why she is bothering to be good or even ho to school st all. we are of course be speaking with the teacher. my concern is at the and of 9 my positive bubble young daughter has a negative experience of a reward system and what type of message this is sending out.

4. I think there has to be a balance.
    Personally, I have had success with using extrinsic reward to encourage good behaviour (rather than learning, although obviously good behaviour impacts on learning!) I combine this though with clear sanction.
    Iam not sure the 'Achievement Award' system we use has any impact on those who are less good 'learners' e.g. I have not noted them striving to earn these rewards, whereas children who are already 'good learners' are motivated by such rewards.
    Reluctant learners are better motivated (in my experience) by finding something that appeals to them personally in terms of lesson style and subject matter. Giving them choice over their learning is also very motivating I find - especially for reluctant learners who are hard to motivate generally.

5. Hi There,

I am also currently writing an essay on this topic and have frantically been trying to search for that experiment with the gold stars that you mentioned in your post. Do you by any chance remember the author?

many thanks