1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

reward ideas!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by pops_b52, Jun 24, 2011.

1. i am doing a tick system for my kids. Until the end of the year they need to achieve a certain amount of ticks in order to join in with the end of year reward. I need some ideas about what i could do- there is the usual: film, sport tournament, party etc but want to something different that i can do in school that will be a real incentive to the kids. any ideas?

2. Hi, I'm going to do a treasure hunt with my class. I plan to do maps and picture clues which will take them around the grounds. I may theme it. They're very excited but that's for year 3 so not sure if suitable for your age group. Also, the teacher in me can't help but think of all the learning opportunities involved even though it's a treat!!

3. I would think carefully about setting up a treat like a party that you exclude a group of children from. You may have children whose behaviour improves towards the end, but who don't have enough ticks because of prior behaviour. In my situation I would also get a lot of flack from parents coming in outraged that their child has been purposely left out. Even though there might be a good reason for this, I wouldn't want to risk the flack.

Whilst I appreciate where you are coming from and see you want to reward good behaviour I do a whole class reward where they have shown me they can work together. I have marbles that I put into a jar when they work together, or all behave particularly well. I let them vote on what treat they want and they get this each half term if they have filled the jar. Marbles can never be taken out, but all have to behave to earn them. I will point out to them who has stopped them from getting a marble if necessary. This works well as they encourage each other to behave. So far they have had a film, an afternoon play outside with the bikes etc, a Christmas activity carousel. They get this usually somewhere on the last two days of school so in reality it is not interrupting teaching, as it is during the time they would usually get to do something more chilled.
    I then have an individual rewards system where they earn stickers on a card. They get a special certficate when they have earned a certain amount, but it could be a different indvidual reward.
    I hope this helps.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I also wouldn't exclude children from the end of year reward. What about those who have been little so and sos all year, but suddenly be angels now? Do they get the reward, but another child having a rough time so not achieving tick in the last few weeks doesn't? What are you going to do with those who don't earn the reward?

As for whole class rewards: film, party, picnic on field, bring in games from home, ask them what they want.

5. I agree singup. I also think that a long term behaviour reward like that isn't very effective. The reward is too far away and many children need something more instant. What motivation is there for a child to improve their behaviour if they can see that no matter how hard they try they won't get enough ticks to get the reward?

6. The children already have instant rewards which I have been doing throughout the year which have worked well. Another class in my school has done this tick system and worked well, but they are having an out of school reward but just wanted ideas for in school. I like the idea of a picnic outside.