1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Revision!

Discussion in 'Music' started by kstring24, May 1, 2011.

1. 2 weeks on Tuesday until the AQA Yr11 music exam, how are you approaching the last few lessons? I'm asking because I'm not sure what to do other than go through exam papers and explain answers.
    I think pupils need to be taught exam technique and to look for clues in the papers as much as possible, but it doesn't seem to be sinking in. I've got a few revision sessions organised for lunchtimes and after school so hopefully we can do more then. Other than that, I have produced a checklist for the AQA syllabus which pupils 'traffic light' depending on how confident they are on that particular strand or area of study. I'm hoping this'll mean they have a better idea of what they need to work on.
    What's everyone else doing? Any advice?

2. 2 weeks on Tuesday until the AQA Yr11 music exam, how are you approaching the last few lessons? I'm asking because I'm not sure what to do other than go through exam papers and explain answers.
    I think pupils need to be taught exam technique and to look for clues in the papers as much as possible, but it doesn't seem to be sinking in. I've got a few revision sessions organised for lunchtimes and after school so hopefully we can do more then. Other than that, I have produced a checklist for the AQA syllabus which pupils 'traffic light' depending on how confident they are on that particular strand or area of study. I'm hoping this'll mean they have a better idea of what they need to work on.
    What's everyone else doing? Any advice?

3. saxo07

saxo07 New commenter

I teach Edexcel and have been focusing on the word 'device' which seems to throw mine (rhythmic device, melodic device etc.). They weren't very good at coming up with terms to describe what they could hear when presented with a question using that term, so I've been doing a lot of idenfying which devices belong with which element and linking it to musical examples (set works in my case).