1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Revision

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by kitty33, Mar 22, 2009.

1. My year 11's have now covered all of the course content and i am now going through some revision with them. Im a little unsure how to structure this for them. I gave them a wordsearch last lesson and they had to define the words that they found, this kept my low ability boys focused for ages. They are predicted G's and im wondering if this is the way to go with them. The others did spend far too long on it.
    Im at a bit of a loss now, anybody got any ideas?
    I teach mixed ability groups as well which is not helping.

2. My year 11's have now covered all of the course content and i am now going through some revision with them. Im a little unsure how to structure this for them. I gave them a wordsearch last lesson and they had to define the words that they found, this kept my low ability boys focused for ages. They are predicted G's and im wondering if this is the way to go with them. The others did spend far too long on it.
    Im at a bit of a loss now, anybody got any ideas?
    I teach mixed ability groups as well which is not helping.

3. lesley66

lesley66 New commenter

You could boil it all down into a snappy powerpoint, which has loads of chances for you to ask them questions. You can even give lower ability kids copies of the ppt doctored so they have to fill bits in as they go along. I have found this really helpful to the kids - and they have found it so too. many asked for copies for their revision, so I have ended up giving copies out as standard.
    Another way might be to build a mindmap with the class - they copy what you put on the board, but what you put on the board you have got from them through questioning. For those who get this style, it is the most helpful thing they can do, and many go on to do it in other subjects.
    Finally you might try to give them answers to questions, and ask them to judge them - what is good about them, what is weaker, how can they use them and their own knowledge to write a top answer.

4. We make crosswords using eclipse crossword (free download and unlike puzzlemaker you can keep all your word lists and publish interactive versions onto your school website / VLE); use content generator and classtools to produce interactive games (some of which are free) and have also made lots of stuff on yacapaca. All of our revision sessions have an element of competition in them which our average - low ability students love.

All of the stuff can also be kept electronically for later use!

5. My classes loved playing 15-1 - they were all given three lifelines, and I did my Anne RObinson impression by standing in the middle of the group and going round in circles asking the questions. It was great when they got tactical and started trying to get other people out. I give sweets to the winner, my HOD gives a fiver so competition is very fierce!

Other than that, I play bingo to revise key words, or use sort cards. I also do 'snowstorms' where I write up a past paper question on the board and the pupils write down a sentence/key concept they would use to answer the question. Then they screw up their paper, throw it like a snowball, pick up the nearest paper and write down a different point than the one already on there. They repeat this five or six times. Two pupils read out their snowballs and then the class is given 10 minutes to answer the question using their prompts which I mark and return next lesson.

Also, for Bible quotes that pupils need to know, I take out words and put pictures in ("I formed you in your mother's womb" becomes 'eye' pic formed 'ewe' pic in your mother's 'womb' pic.) Just makes it a bit different and easier to remember.

I've also done posters, small gorups looking at a topic for half the lesson to teach the rest of the class about in 3 minutes, revision carosel where pupils have 10 minutes per table to complete a revision task before moving on etc. Don't be afraid of trying out different revision techniques to find what works. Some classes I can't do the carosel, others I can't do snowstorm with. You have to find what works best for your group.

Good luck - mine are driving me crazy at the min because it hasn't sunk in that the exams are only weeks away... [​IMG]