1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Revision sessions

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by mrbrightside842, Sep 29, 2018.

1. mrbrightside842

mrbrightside842 New commenter

Just wondering how revision sessions run in other schools in the run up to GCSE. Are people expected to stay behind? Does anyone get paid for revision?

agathamorse likes this.
  2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

They start around mock time for an hour a week after school until summer. No extra pay.

dunnocks and agathamorse like this.
  3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Running revision sessions seems to have become the norm in many schools now. In some schools, there are so many that the students cannot attend them all. I have never known extra pay or anything else to be offered. The students at my last school were given tea/coffee/juice and cakes. The staff got nothing. It was one of those "voluntary" things that you had to take part in. By whichI mean all teaching staff, from NQT to HoD. Oddly, not SLT... They always had something else to do, even when they were on the list to be taking a session.
    I have always felt that timetabled lessons should be perfectly enough for revision, IF the student attends and does the work set.
    Whatever happened to the student taking responsibility for his or her own learning?

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

In September 2019 there will be a rather nervous meeting with a HoD, the connected SLT and the Head or Deputy. The sole purpose will be to allocate blame (praise doesn't come into it) for the department's GCSE results. The only way the HoD can divert this blame to the student is by showing all the hoops that the department jumped through to get the lazy so-and-so vaguely engaged.

That\s a nice thought to carry you to 4pm on a Thursday, stuck in a room full of people who don't want to be there. As I'm long-term supply, I'll try and worm out of volunteering for it but probably end up doing it anyway.

Incidentally though I've never been one of the exulted ones named above I know it will happen because yet again I've heard my HoD whinging about this meeting.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

SMT should be asked, when they suggest this, if they believe they haven't timetabled adequately for subject X.

After all, if it's the teachers (or the students) who are inadequate, putting the same teacher in front of the same kids for an extra hour per week isn't going to help much.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Is it within your 1265 hours Directed Time?

7. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

In some schools, you have the daft situation in which timetabled lessons for subjects are reduced, while revision sessions proliferate. Does more revision compensate for what you have had less time to teach? The thin end of yet another wedge, making after-school sessions not an extra but an expectation.

8. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Do such classes count as contact time? Is there any kind of legal guidance on that?

aypi likes this.
  9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Can't think how it isn't contact time, but not sure what difference it would make if even I it wasn't. It's something head can direct you to do within 1265 hours.

10. mrbrightside842

mrbrightside842 New commenter

I’m unsure about working out the 1265 hours. Is that how much time we have to work without inset etc? If a school says you’re to be there from 8:20-15:30 with a half hour lunch, is that 33 hrs 20 mins a week then multiplied by 39 weeks?

11. TrueFaith

TrueFaith Occasional commenter

I've known these sessions to be "voluntary". One can say no, but it's amidst raised eyebrows and clucks of "well, you'll have to arrange for them to be covered by...".

agathamorse likes this.
  12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Clearly they are contact time. Might the impact be on PPA time if a teacher is right on their 10% limit?

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We had them running most of last year - they did no good at all and actually I think they were totally counter productive.

We're not doing them this year until well after Christmas - hopefully they will be better structured this time.

henrypm0 and bombaysapphire like this.
  14. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

We did decrease teaching hours last year for option subjects (from 6 to 5 hours over 2 weeks) and I did offer revision lessons. My entire SOW is now geared towards starting the GCSE in Year 9. I will offer revision sessions again but as I work in an independent school, it goes with the territory. If the student does poorly, my school at least will look at all aspects (and it helped that the student admitted that they didn't revise) before blaming the teacher.

15. install

install Star commenter

Don't go near them. Some schools are pressuruzing staff to stay and enforce an extra period and Saturday sessions.

Better to do your own thing if you must on a voluntary basis and just make lessons better :cool:

woollani likes this.
  16. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

We found Saturday sessions to be a complete waste of time, as often there were more of us in the school than there were students for us to teach!

Similar was the case with the many 'parents' evenings, in addition to the usual 'subject consolation evenings'. We had 'settling in evening' for Year 7, 'pastoral evenings' for each year group. It averaged out on to one 'evening' every fortnight, most of which were poorly attended as parents will only drag themselves along so many times.