1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Revision lesson plan idea

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by caughtupinachaosofbooks, Mar 17, 2019.

1. caughtupinachaosofbooks

caughtupinachaosofbooks New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm a trainee teacher and I have my observation this week. The lesson my tutor will be observing is going to be a revision session (Year 9 class). I have never taught a revision lesson before.

It's a 1-hour lesson and ideally, I thought they could do the market place (students separated into 5 teams, as there are 5 areas they need to learn, so each group focusses on an area and then swap groups to get info from the other group) for the first half of the lesson and for the second half then do a relay activity (work in pairs and answer past exam questions, they answer 1 question - come to get answer checked, if correct, move on to the second one, if wrong, go back and answer again vice versa.

I'm quite happy with the second activity, however, I'm not so sure about the first activity because of the class. They are by far my most difficult class for many reasons and my planning hasn't been working well with them, compared to other classes.

They already have notes/resources which they took home to revise from as they were told they'd be sitting a few tests. However, my gut feeling tells me majority of them will not have revised, as the students hate the idea of reading, or doing any work in general (expect to be spoonfed) - not just with me but it's the same when my host teacher takes over.

It takes a while to get them settled every single time, they interrupt a lot and make rude comments throughout the lesson. Sanctions don't really affect them either. So, I'm worried I'll end up running over time with the first activity as it's quite time consuming. I just don't want the whole lesson to drag with one thing, that's why I kept the testing bit for second half.

I'd be grateful if anyone could make any suggestions. Thank you.