1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Revision lesson Ideas

Discussion in 'Science' started by londinium, Feb 22, 2010.

1. A late response I know, but only just getting active on the forums!
    Getting students to voluteer themselves as tutors on one area, then taking turns to receive help on another, can be really good. Ideally, I set a homework which has questions on three to four areas of the topic. I then ask the kids to choose one area in which they can be a 'tutor', explaining the ideas to those who struggled. They rotate around so that everyone gets a turn being 'instructed' (with me in the background), using sheets I've provided as reference materials and worked examples. If you had more time, this could be stretched out with kids helping to produce their own 'teaching resources'. I often find getting kids to write their own questions can be useful in itself.
    I like a lot of the ideas that other people have suggested (and intend to steal them!) but one I often like to use is getting the students themselves to produce usefully structured revision notes.
    Setting a word limit can be a very good way to do this as it gets them to consider what is most important - I sometiems give them a page printed out from Bitesize, or based on lesson powerpoints, and get them to cross off words. In the end they're left with key vocab.
    Another format I've used is based on Cornell notes, where they set themselves (perhaps based on an audit or ticklist of the topic areas) three or four areas to study but have only a small amount of space to fill. I explained this in a blog post a while back, when my studnets were revising (possibly for the same exam). I'm linking also to the post I made about audits, as this can be useful earlier on in the topic.
    http://teachingofscience.wordpress.com/2010/02/11/cornell-notes-for-revision/
    http://teachingofscience.wordpress.com/2010/02/03/planning-effective-revision/

2. [/b]
    <font face="Times New Roman">Individual task</font><font face="Times New Roman">Read - read your notes in small chunks</font>
    <font face="Times New Roman"> </font><font face="Times New Roman">In pairs/groups</font>
    In pairs/groups
    <font size="3"> </font><font size="3">Create a list of BUZZ WORDS- useful with seen questions or essay style exam questions.</font> These should be key words that you must include within your essay. Once they have agreed upon the list, they can put them into a logical order. - you could expand this and use to build concept maps; excellent for revision.
    <font size="3"> </font> One person will begin, and state the first word
    Second person states that word then adds the second.
    Third person states first two words plus the third and so on&hellip;..
    <font size="3"> </font> [/b]
    <font face="Times New Roman"> </font><font face="Times New Roman">Individual task</font> [/b] will draft a sample essay on your chosen subject. You will have 40 minutes in which to complete.
    <font face="Times New Roman"> </font><font face="Times New Roman"> </font><font face="Times New Roman"> </font><font face="Times New Roman"> </font>

3. If possible could I have a copy of these. They sound great. Or, could you let me know if you put them on TES as I resource.
    Thanks
    Anna