1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Revision lesson Ideas

Discussion in 'Science' started by londinium, Feb 22, 2010.

1. londinium

londinium New commenter

Hey Folks,

What do you all do to structure a revision lesson?

I'm finding it harder and harder to find things to keep them stimulated and on task. I'm keen not to spend alot of time talking at them as I'd rather they worked independantly on the parts they need to but I fear non-participation can be a problem.

2. GCSE or A level?
    GCSE try marketplace activities on a topic. I've done this with yr 11 on Bonding (+ electrolysis).
    Or on a whole unit of B1a or B1b by giving a double page spread in the text book to each pair to make a poster (10 word max, unlimited diagrams, symbols or numbers) which they then have to present to the class. Makes a set of revision resources if you scan them in to a computer.

3. londinium

londinium New commenter

Yeah, I've done that sort of activity with them all ready. We got in to groups and presented about different parts of the topic.
    I can get them to do revision cards or mind maps and past papers if I can't think of anything else. They're very uncoperative.

I'm going to try the poster idea with one group. It's just so hard to stop them copying the book word for word, although your word limit is quite good but maybe a bit hard.

It's GCSE year 11. We've got 2 lessons to go.

4. Only two lessons, wow!
    I have collated good, medium and bad-to-useless answers (range of full marks to zero marks) for a selection of questions from the June 2009 C1 and C2 papers from my yr 11s mock exams. I intend to use them to get them to see what a good answer looks like and what is wrong with the answers that didn't score many or any marks.
    I plan to make them into laminated cards that they can put in order of best to worse and then work out how many marks they think each answer got. Some of them may even recognise their own answers!
    If they are of any use to you PM me.

5. I give them 15 minutes on an activity - photocopy a section of the revision giude and get them to ask each otehr questions, 15 minutes on bbc bitesize, 15 minuutes making revision cards, 15 minutes highlighting the specification red amber green, 10 minutes on multi-guess questions and 5 minutes going over the answers, 15 minutes making a mind map. 15 minutes looking up the meanings of words. But I put them into groups and make them work with people they don't usually work with as they go the different stations...

6. how about games? Either some kind of bingo, where the answers to questions you read are on their cards, or the questions are on the cards & you provide onw word answers etc.?
    Or maybe get them to design revision games. A little late for that one now though, since they won't get much chance to play their games.

7. These sound really useful to me! So useful, I'm posting for the first time. Would it be possible to put them on as a resource?

8. hcb

hcb New commenter

If you are allowed to have noisy lessons try Articulate. Make cards with all the vocabulary they need to know. In teams one person has to get their team to guess the word on the card by describing it, but not using the word given in any way. Each person is given a time limit (1 minute I think???) . They are allowed to pass on one word and get points for the team for the number guessed correctly. Then you go over any words they passed on or that were not guessed correctly. Fun and shows up all sorts of misunderstandings.

9. Sorry didn't spot your request sooner. Will put them on resources.
    What I have done is printed out the question (or part question if I can get away with it) on a separate laminated card for them to look at with the answers.
    Will upload them, then come back here to post the link.......

10. Thanks Pookie Robin, just what I need! First time I've posted too. [​IMG]

11. Thank you for the resources Pookie.
    I put my class into groups of 4 and give them a past paper and then give them 15mins ( a bit more than a 1/4 of the time)to complete it before swapping and marking. They quite enjoy the competitive element and want to get the highest mark.The team work helps when they are getting fed up with pastpaper practice throughout the school in the run up to GCSE's

12. Nice idea lysan. I am going to try that.

13. Thanks for the resource pooky robin [​IMG]

14. For some of the topics that have industry applications (hopefully all but the most theoretical) you could try the free trial on www.edventurers.net - this can allow students to bring together all the knowledge on a topic and take it a step further into innovation. Lots of creativity and practical thinking will come out. Drop me a line through the site if you want to discuss any ideas.

15. Try booking a computer room and give them access to what2learn.com (it takes a couple of minutes to set up a free account). This is a national award-winning resource and contains loads of interactive revision games and exam drills for Science at KS3 and KS4, with specific units of activities aimed at different exam boards and modules.
    Students find this engaging, motivating and an effective way of learning. They will also be able to continue at home. The big plus point for you is that it has automated marking and record keeping so you will be able to quickly and easily track student progress.

16. I have found these 2 revision activities very popular with students in Physics.
    1. Speed Dating. At the end of a topic I give them a photocopied sheet with condensed info (from a revision guide usually). They have to spend 10-15 mins writing down 10 questions/answers from the info. Then I do what I call 'speed dating' - they have to sit somewhere else with someone else and they have 4 mins to go through their questions testing each other. They then swap ther q/a sheets and move to another place to test another student - I reduce the time. I usually for about 3 rounds and use an online timer with a loud buzzer!

2. Loop Games. Each student has a laminated card with an answer and question and I start out randomly with one student who stands up to read out their question. The person with the correct answer stands up to read out their answer and then their question etc. until we get back to the first person. Only takes about 20 mins to produce the Q/Q and then 5 mins to laminate and guillotine. Worth the investment as they can be used over and over.
    Failing that get them to do some past paper questions (like I had to when I was at school!!!!!) - games bah humbug!
    Best Wishes