1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Revision games/activities for literature?

Discussion in 'English' started by Angelil, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Angelil

Angelil Occasional commenter

Sorry if this has come up before but after the holidays I will have 6 weeks of revision time with my IB students, purely to focus on our 2 set texts for the exam (although we will do some work for the language paper too). I feel like we have done past paper outlines ad infinitum. They have also already made flash cards etc. I have more ideas...

* Quotation quizzes
    * Revision booklets with comprehension/analytical activities
    * Revision Jenga (never tried this before but just read about it online and it sounds like a plan... :p )

...but beyond that I am truly stuck!! It doesn't help to me that our set texts (bequeathed to me by a former colleague...) are really hardly ever studied (The Jew of Malta and The Sorrow of War) so I can't even just raid TES rather than having to basically reinvent the wheel.

Any suggestions would be AMAZING. Thanks in advance :)

2. FlyingFoxBat

FlyingFoxBat New commenter

When my friend studied 'The Handmaid's Tale' for A level literature, the teacher asked them to choose a character and write a monologue based on that character's attitudes, characteristics, motivations etc. If students enjoy drama/ feel confident enough, they can read them out to the other students. Students can enjoy putting their own spin on the monologues- one of the students wrote (as a commander) that he believed women existed for the purposes of 'cooking and 'f***ing'!

A similar idea is to ask students to write problem page letters and answers based on incidents from the texts (these should be written in character.)

I also found it useful to link modern day analogies to events/ themes in historical texts, as this can make the stories and characters more accessible and memorable.

You could also play matching games, where students match quotations to the appropriate character/ match consequences to actions/ match motivations to characters etc.

I hope these ideas help :) .

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Have the students write their own quiz questions, so they can quiz each other - can ask anything they want, as long as they know the answer themselves. Make it into a team competition.

FlyingFoxBat likes this.
  4. Angelil

Angelil Occasional commenter

Such great ideas here - thank you!! Will definitely use some of them. Funny you should mention The Handmaid's Tale as this is the other text that my higher level students do.

I also remembered that last year I was able to do a bit of extra work with them comparing The Sorrow of War to Heart of Darkness (and subsequently Apocalypse Now), incorporating some 'found poetry' work using both texts. So I could always fall back on that as well if I need to.

Hopefully on this thread we can build up a real bank of ideas for revision games.