1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Revision Crash Courses

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by thekizzaa, Feb 20, 2016.

1. thekizzaa

thekizzaa New commenter

Hi all,

I am thinking of running revision sessions in the Easter holidays and half term, specifically for GCSE and A-Level Maths.

Does anyone have any experience of running these? And if so, does anyone have any tips on how to structure the sessions? I was thinking of doing all day (10 til 4) per module.

I am thinking of running them, to begin with, to around 4-5 students maximum. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

2. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

Some exams may be before half term - have you checked the timetables?
    I am a tutor,but also have a child in Y11, and think 10-4 will be too long as there are other subjects that need revising too. The maximum time teenagers can manage without a break is 2 hours in my experience.

3. Ian1983

Ian1983 Occasional commenter

I'd assume that by 10 til 4, you mean with breaks included, rather than 6 hours of solid non stop maths!! Even though it seems obvious, I would make the structure of the day clear in the advert just to prevent any awkward parents saying 'you advertised 6 hours of maths and then only did 5 hours because of the breaks'.

You could also have some fun activities in there. When I was a trainee teacher, I took part in a 1 day AS Level maths booster session that was run by Liverpool University. There was basically 120 AS Level maths students there from sixth forms all over Liverpool, 20 tables with 6 students and 1 trainee teacher per table. One of the 'fun things' we did was a maths relay............................I'm sure you know the type of thing...................questions get given out, pupils have to bring the correct answer forward to score a point and then get given the next question. This proved very popular.

One thing that I would do though if I was to run this session myself would be to retain all the Maths Relay answers and to ensure that if John got questions 3, 5 and 8 wrong in the relay (making up names and questions here), there'd be the chance to go over these questions in the next part of the day (rather than 'you go these wrong, you don't score any points for them, move on!')