1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Revision as directed time

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by mrandmrsscience, Jan 19, 2020.

1. mrandmrsscience

mrandmrsscience New commenter

Our school has told us that we must do revision at lunch and afterschool
    As part of our directed time, is this normal?

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

(Assuming STPCD)
    Lunch id thorny, as teachers should not be directed then.
    After school is a distinct possibility if you have enough spare hours below 1265.
    Whether morally (or educationally) it is correct is another issue!

3. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

You must still have a proper lunch break. Check what your directed hours are adding up to, as it sounds like you're quickly going to go over!

bonxie likes this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Not quite what STPCD says. You are entitled to a "reasonable" lunch break, whatever that means. By law, you must get 20 minutes; personally I would say that 30 might be considered reasonable, but I doubt if there is anything definitive on this. Outside that, you can be directed. On the whole, I would rather that my 1,265 directed hours included some lunchtimes, reducing time after school.

As well as the issue of total directed time, which would be a problem if the school was already close to the limit, I would also query whether this counts as "teaching". If it does, your PPA time should reflect this.

5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Is it normal? yes. Is it right? no.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Actually, if this took the place of boring meetings after school, and I didn't have to do much preparation etc, I think I would prefer it. But that is dependent on the school sticking to directed time limits.