1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reviews on new iPGCE courses please

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Morris1976, Jun 26, 2019.

1. noncon

noncon New commenter

Definitely don't want to do that, no matter how good the money or relaxed my working schedule is. The more I stay, the more mind-numbingly bored I get and my brain turns into mush. I have to move onto bigger and challenging things. Thanks for all the advice Bill8899. I'm going to work one more year to save a bit more money and then try and do my PGCE back in the UK. If not, possible go with options 1 or even 3. It was nice to talk to someone about this. Cheers!

Bill8899 likes this.
  2. HeroForTheDay

HeroForTheDay Occasional commenter

You can work in Malaysia on your Biochem degree to teach science. So option 3 is definitely an option for you

Bill8899 likes this.
  3. noncon

noncon New commenter

How can I do this if I don't have an actual teaching license/PGCE? All primary school and high school positions I've seen advertised for Malaysia state they require a teaching license/PGCE

4. HeroForTheDay

HeroForTheDay Occasional commenter

5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

If you are going to teach science in a school make sure you have a recognized Health & Safety Certificate to cover Educational Use in a Laboratory.

The schools insurance will not cover accidents if you do not have the correct certification on safety.

The first thing an insurance company does in the event of a claim is to ask for the qualifications of the teacher in the classroom.

6. fairylights14

fairylights14 New commenter

Anyone have any exp of doing the IPGCE with TES institute (delivered by Uni of East London)?
    Tia

7. jzorget

jzorget New commenter

8. yellowandwhitecow

yellowandwhitecow New commenter

Wondering if anyone can help with this one please. I have qts through the gtp and have quite a few years teaching experience. I’m looking to teach abroad in the future so aware that I will need to convert to the PGCE qualification. My question is, is the top up PGCE as frowned upon as the iPGCE would appear to be from reading this? Will this not be regarded as a ‘proper’ PGCE? Thanks for any thoughts.

9. Bill8899

Bill8899 New commenter

Why earn a PGCE if you already have a QTS?

You should visit the websites of the education departments where you hope to teach to learn what they require.

The iPGCE is frowned on by a few of the posters here. That's doesn't mean schools disapprove. I think an iPGCE is more acceptable for secondary teachers. I know a few secondary school teachers happily teaching abroad with a PGCEi.

I don't think a PGCE top up would harm you. It could only benefit you, but is it worth the time and effort?

You can choose a primary or secondary PGCE or iPGCE, but I think your QTS serves you well when looking abroad.

10. yellowandwhitecow

yellowandwhitecow New commenter

Thanks for the reply. I’m looking at the Middle East at the moment and QTS without the PGCE does not seem to be accepted, hence having to pay to do the PGCE many years into my career and having to pay a fair amount for it. Yes, I’m primary based. Also would be really interested if you could point me in the direction of which countries will accept teachers with qts but no PGCE. Thanks again

11. Bill8899

Bill8899 New commenter

Possibly Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, African countries and some schools in China. But these schools won't be the top tier schools. Perhaps places to gain post PGCEi experience? Or you might accidentally find a place you like. Your experience is your strong suit, so - obviously - play it.

Perhaps apply to positions that interest you and see what happens? You have experience, and that may attract offers along with a stated intention to complete a PGCEi in the near future. I would apply to schools that interest me and see what happens.

The Leeds Beckett PGCEi costs around £2,000, and that's pretty low. It seems like a lot of writing. You might choose another if it's a better fit for you.

12. s_littler47

s_littler47 New commenter

Hi James, what PGCEi did you do?

13. kyoushidesu

kyoushidesu New commenter

I just can’t see how the rigour of a PGCE can be replicated in an online course.

14. february31st

february31st Established commenter

That's because it's DOESN'T.

It's a fake teaching qualification used to defraud parents who think they are paying for a "UK QUALIFIED" teacher.(QTS+NQT)

15. yasf

yasf Established commenter

But not all iPGCEs are equal. My issue is with the one from Nottingham - specifically as it is:
    Nothing to do with the academic rigour. You miss the point entirely - which is my issue with people that have done the Nottingham iPGCE. They don't know what they don't know.

16. StarryStarryEyed

StarryStarryEyed New commenter

look at Tes course, competitively priced and they offer a route to QTS. My HOD did this route.

17. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Not true. I taught in Middle East with GTP and QTS, no PGCE. I know plenty of teachers who are the same.

18. StarryStarryEyed

StarryStarryEyed New commenter

Sorry, HOD looked into qualifying people with QTS through TES.

19. JamesBondGibbon

JamesBondGibbon New commenter

I did the dreaded Nottingham one. As I mainly learned on the job it probably took me about 3-4 years of graft (or grift according to Febers!) to become excellent at making it rain A's and A*'s on results day.