1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Review of UK death figures cuts toll by 5,000

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Aug 12, 2020.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A review of how UK deaths from coronavirus are counted has cut the death toll by more than 5,000 to 41,329, according to an announcement this evening. Previously, people in England who died at any point following a positive test - regardless of cause of death - were counted in the daily published statistics.

There will now be a cut-off of 28 days, providing what the government believes is a more accurate picture of the epidemic. This brings England's data in line with the other UK nations, such as Scotland and Wales.

2. WB

WB Star commenter

I did hear that people who had tested positive and were then killed in a car crash 2 months later would be included in the Covid death count.

The excess death total across the whole Covid year (March 2020 to March 2021) will the figure to go by.

I'm keen to compare our excess death to Germany's this time next year.

3. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

exactly, and excess deaths are around 60 000 I believe.

4. Corvuscorax20

Covid undoubtedly saved many lives in the Scottish train derailment this morning.

Ro13 likes this.
  5. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

I wouldn't be the least surprised if this government tried the trick of counting a pair of gloves as two items of PPE again, but in reverse, by factoring into the death toll the number of arms and legs each victim had, then dividing the statistic by four.

6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

This reclassification of figures was predicted.

And doctors have already been on social media explaining why it is incorrect.

Many people with Covid-19 die well after 28 days.

Corruption presents in manipulated statistics.

Excess deaths is the standard measure, and that is now well over 65,000

7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I would.

Oscillatingass, Pomza and nomad like this.
  8. T34

T34 Lead commenter

Could you post your source for this number of excess deaths, Please?

9. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

My thought is why bother? It is the number of excess deaths which will hang bojo. He cannot escape from that come judgement day.

hplovegame48 and Scintillant like this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That's what happens when people are told to avoid hospitals.

3 million cancer appointments cancelled and 30,000 heart ops cancelled. Meanwhile excess deaths need to be looked at over a whole year to get a realistic picture...

Anyone harping on about "65000" deaths without understanding these things is just not worth listening to.

11. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Presumably, whatever the current number is, it will be reducing as the number of excess deaths has been negative for at least 7 consecutive weeks now (perhaps confirming the view that many of those who died from Covid-19 would have died this year in any case).

12. Scintillant

Er, are those deaths not excess deaths?

It is you who clearly does not understand the term.

13. Scintillant

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  14. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Death then, is not the leveller it was. Anyway....I'm unsure why the Govt should consider this important.
    upload_2020-8-13_7-59-8.jpeg

15. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

They need to add all those who died of Covid in Care Homes at the start of the outbreak but - strangely - weren't tested...o_O

nizebaby likes this.
  16. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

If they weren't tested the cause of death is not Covid for sure.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  17. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Clearly at a time when Covid was running through Care Homes, and the death rate for a care home suddenly goes through the roof - one down my way was so bad it made national news (all caused when one resident was returned from a hospital with un-tested Covid and then some 17 others died) - to not test them was a sneaky way to play down how serious the disease was.

nizebaby likes this.
  18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

But how could they have been tested when there were not enough test kits available ?
    Should we have sent the SAS into Germany to steal their supply, perhaps?

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Data fiddling again. When will they learn?
    Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you think you see.
    Political emanations ALL lie.

Kandahar likes this.
  20. Corvuscorax20

I am not saying this to support the government, I think they have messed up badly, but this particular allegation is just silly, anyone who uses such gloves knows they don't come in pairs and are counted singly. This isn't government propaganda, this is just standard.

peter12171 and Oscillatingass like this.