1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Review of Mymaths

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Jenjames2, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Hello
    Where can I find any professional reviews of mymaths? I'd like to write a critical review for an essay, and so fare I've only been able to find personal views from pupils and teachers.
    Many thanks for any help.

2. autismuk

autismuk New commenter

The whole point of the essay is you give your own views, not that you regurgitate others. Presumably you are a trainee Mathematics teacher. Why not write what you think of it ? There is no "right" answer, merely intelligent comment.
    Given the site is British, the only likely "professional" reviews will be in the TES itself.

3. I agree. Do an essay based on primary data. Think how many 'Well done' points you will score for your House if you get off your ar se and do something original.

4. autismuk

autismuk New commenter

No they don't. It is an opinion piece. As long as it is well thought out and argued, it is fine.

5. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Would this be better in the Maths forum?

6. True DEmsley! I have however taught Maths at my school and have used MyMaths. Have to say I found it very irritating. You cannot see any working out from pupils on what questions they got wrong. Seems just a lazy way of marking to me-in the end I stopped using it! Funny being an ICT teacher and hating a piece of tech used by another dept"

7. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

You can always get them to do it in their books to show their working, then enter the answer in my Maths to see if they are correct. It makes a change for homework sometimes. It can be useful for self-study / revision.

8. I have found the same. What is missing is what used to be called 'rigour'. In my experience many students just guess the answers and there is no record of the children's thinking and logic (if any) for the teacher to review positively or correct as the case may be.
    I found for GCSE revision something like gcsemathematics4u is much better with fully worked answers to hundreds of questions so that students can try the questions and then compare with the worked answers. Many alternative methods etc included.

9. autismuk

autismuk New commenter

Is it a coincidence that the contact name on this site is the same as the name on this post, I wonder ?
    Please advise us about your site but do so honestly. People aren't stupid.