1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Review of McCrone teaching deal announced

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by deleted963, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Bring it on. I'm hardly doing anything at the moment anyway, just preparing lessons for S1/2/3/4/5/6 , marking essays/ prelims/conduct sheets, reporting for all the 220 pupils I teach each week/ organising an entry to an extra curricular competition, organising a whole school celebration of Pi day, serving on 4 committees - working groups, developing CFE assessment for the NAR, liasing with LTS, following school-faculty-hmie improvement plans.......sorry - got to go and do lunch duty now.
    I think I have some spare time tonight..........

2. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis New commenter

3. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

McCrone was deeply flawed in both design and implementation.
    In design, the report prepared by Gavin McCrone was handed over to groups of COSLA, the then Scottish Executive and the teaching unions.
    COSLA got teachers under the local authority line management driven "Iron Heel" and job sizing as a protection against equal pay claims.
    The EIS got a common maximum in pay, more promoted posts for Primary teachers.
    The Scottish Exec gota lid on spending and deliver a nice wee political bonus for Jack McConnel to become First Minister and evetually Lord Gotnowt (or whatever Arran based title he actually has.)
    Secondary teachers got shafted.
    I note that this committee is constrained by certain aspects of its remit ...
    The remit of the McCrone review will consider whether:

• The agreement is delivering all the benefits that were intended for both teachers and pupils
    No because the deal was never implemented properly by all local authorities. Some siphoned cash off to pay for social work for example! Admin support for teachers and Collegiality is non existent in some schools.
    • It is suited to the delivery of Curriculum for Excellence, which aims to give teachers more freedom and make lessons less prescriptive
    Hmmm. Apart from my personal feelings re CfE, I'd say that this is putting the cart before the horse. Conditions of service exist to protect teachers and promote good teaching and learning not to serve a botched Curriculum which will be dumped sooner or later.
    • It attracts the most-talented people into the teaching profession
    40 years of similar reviews (Houghton, Clegg, Main) failed to do this because they failed to put in place mechanisms to promote the professionalism of teachers and protect professional salaries and conditions of service. McCrone made a better job than most which is exactly why it's about to be dismantled!
    • The cost and size of the teacher workforce is appropriate in the context of the current financial climate.
    See my comment above. Is anyone saying this about the Health Service? Is any Health Minister likely to go into a Scottish Parliament and say "We can't afford to keep people alive any more". I don't think so. Until politicians treat education as a strategic service which is vital to the futire of the nation then this country will continue to stagnate and we will continue to stagger from stop gap review to stop gap review.
    Apart from anything else, this a deeply cynical political exercise. When asked any question about education in the hustings leading up to the May election, SNP candidates will simply answer that the review will come up with the answers.
    I hope tyhey get the hammering they deserve from the electorate.

4. holdingon

holdingon Occasional commenter

with the elections in May we need as teachers to use this as an opportunity to find out where each political party stands and vote accordingly

5. That's what I did last time - SNP were promising lower class sizes as one of their main issues, amongst other commitments to quality education for all, and have completely failed to deliver on this.
    Lib Dems likewise made all the right noises about education, and I thought they were the most 'education friendly' party out of all of them. Again, complete failure to deliver, plus the Lib Dems in coalition have helped put through tuition fees.
    Am very much struggling as to who I would vote for in this area - we have an SNP/Lib Dem coalition and at this rate I would have been better voting Tory as the SNP/Lib Dems seem to be taking great joy in destroying education in Aberdeen.

6. And for more perspective, and for anyone who thinks McCrone is in some way generous regarding conditions of work or that Scottish teachers have it cushy compared to French or Canadian teachers, for example: the OECD reports that Scots teachers spend a greater percentage of their working day in the classroom than teachers anywhere else in the western world.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11225612
    Scots teachers spend more time in classroom
    Teachers in Scotland spend 60% of their working hours in the classroom which is higher than their counterparts anywhere in the western world.
    The figure came from a survey carried out by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
    It said teachers in Scotland had less time during the school day to mark children's work and prepare lessons.

7. holdingon

we cannot do more
    in fact we need time to do what we are meant to do better
    staff in my school are so stressed out it's not healthy
    seem to remember a song by the stranglers "something better change"
    let us hope so ,but I fear it will be for the worse

8. "Union leaders are also bracing themselves for a battle over the McCrone deal on working conditions which has been perceived as generous by council leaders."
    Perhaps we should be offering our perceptions on their even more generous conditions?
    "The Educational Institute of Scotland suggested Scotland's largest council, Glasgow, was being unreasonable in trying to re-open the national pay and conditions deal to ensure teachers do more work once children have left the classroom. "
    This is something I've never been able to understand - do they really believe that work stops when the pupils leave the building? Who is feeding them this ****?

9. Do our council "leaders" honestly think we work only a 35-hour week?
    Do our council "leaders" appreciate all the out-of-hours extracurricular stuff that goes unpaid? Day after day, month after month, year after year?
    Let's just stick to 35 hours a week whilst introducing this utter farce of a new pretendy "curriculum", a Curriculum for Chaos. Teachers are going to be blamed any way for its dismal failure and the country's slide down the world table of literacy, numeracy and general educational attainment.
    Let's ditch all this "positive learning environment" sh!te whilst our employers are positively trying to shaft us right up the the armpits.
    Let's see how much schools are part of their local communities when there's no-one there willing to work unpaid in order to contribute to their community.

10. Absolutely! Couldn't agree more. Part of the McCrone deal was 190 hours of Collegiate and 35 hours of CPD. I won't be doing either of these if they even attempt to destroy any part of hard-fought pay and conditions.
    Schools would fall apart if teachers worked to a 35-hour week and LAs know this. They are banking on the hope that we will just 'roll over' and accept this shambles.

11. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Our local EIS secretary told us that we can't legally work to rule ie the 35 hour week because UK law says if you've been doing something for a long time out of goodwill, it basically becomes part of your contract to continue doing it. He also told us not to start writing letters to the local press because as employees of the council we are not legally allowed to criticise our employers.
    Can't really understand either ofthese things but I'm sure he knows what he's talking about.

12. How can that apply - we haven't exactly been doing it out of goodwill, it's been part of our contract. If they don't stick to the terms of the contract, why on earth should we?

13. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis New commenter

CanuckGrrl,

The OECD publishes information on teaching conditions around the world.

Si N. Tiffick,

What happened to democracy? Why on Earth would anyone allow themselves to be silenced in a democratic country by bureaucrats or politicians? I won?t suffer any loss if anyone takes my advice and ignores these petty dictators, of course, but I don?t see teachers should cave in to intimidation.

The very destructive government we had from 1992 to 1999 knew that it would meet resistance from teachers who had a long record of commitment to their profession, so it passed a ministerial order banning teachers from public debate on education:

and even more chillingly:

(Ministerial Order No. 140, Victorian School News ? also known as Pravda among teachers ? Vol.1, No. 12, 22 July 1993)

Sub-clause 3.12(3) allowed public comment ?in a private capacity? under certain restrictions which seemed to reduce the effect of sub-clauses 3.12(1) and 3.12(2) but which did not make them null and void ? an attempt by the government to restrict debate while claiming not to.

Teachers responded by simply ignoring the ministerial order. Among other things, they sent letters to the press like the following (with names removed in accordance with the rules of this site:

We had to keep this ? and a lot more ? up for seven years, but we finally got rid of that dishonest disgrace of a government and saw the rebuilding begin. In all that time, there was not one case that I know of of the government daring to actually use the intimidatory powers of the Ministerial Order, which was quickly repealed once the new government was elected in 1999.

14. A simple and easy way to do this is simply refusing!
    HT: I assume you're taking the football teams again this year, Jimbo?
    Teacher: Eh, naw.
    HT: Why? You've been doing it for the past kazillion years.
    Teacher: Yes, I know, but my doctor's advised against it.
    That is, invent an entirely spurious reason that can't be argued against. Mein gott, you shouldn't even have to do this, but if that's what it comes to!

15. No reason why anyone shouldn't contact the press anonymously either.

16. And remember you can write to your MP and MSP and ask them to put forward your objections.

17. Or just say you don't have the time. Don't get caught in a stupid lie when you can just state that you are no longer willing to volunteer for extra curricular stuff.

18. holdingon

agree with this - we have to make a point in pointing out that we are withdrawing the extra that we do free of charge -the parents will then ask why? then we tell them why? teachers are and always have been their own worst enemies ,although normally moderate staff at my school appear to be slowly wakening up to the fact that they are being sha f t d big time