1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Review my answers to SCITT Early Years interview........

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sweetnessuk, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Review my answers to SCITT Early Years interview........

I have answered as many questions as I can think of for the SCITT Early Years interview. Please can you read them and see if they're okay?

Thanks

1. How relevant is your degree?
    My degree shows I can be creative and that I am dedicated and committed. I gained researching skills and a teacher needs to be able to research during the lesson planning process. I developed my organisational skills which involves time management. A teacher needs to be able to keep paperwork organised, arranging the lessons and the planning and so on. I gained critical thinking skills which show I can identify important information to be used in a lesson.

2. Why do you want to teach?
    I became a teacher because I found that I loved the interaction and seeing kids grow as future adults. I love to help people and discover and build themselves. I love being part of people?s life. Teaching to me is fun..I love being a teacher. I believe that not only do we teach, we are very much the learners too. Teaching allows me to further expand my knowledge on subjects which I have spent a great deal of time learning, so teaching will allow me to revisit these subject matters.
    I taught English in Thailand because I wanted a challenge which was varied. It was a low wage but I went for the experience, and to share my experiences with people from another country. I felt like I was someone to look up to because it showed the children that learning English will take you places as it did with me. It has inspired me to want to teach for a career. I came back to the UK to gain qualifications that will better my chances in getting a career in teaching.

I have experience in teaching, whether it be with children from all walks of life, mentoring a new employee, or working in a classroom. I love to sing and dance, write and be creative but never thought of a career. Many people said I should be a teacher but I never thought I could do it till my experiences in Thailand.

3. Why should we choose you?
    You should choose me because I believe that all students want to succeed. I know how to motivate students through my creativity and personality. I am capable at working independently but not afraid to ask for help. I make objectives clear and try to connect the objectives with the world outside of the classroom.
    4. What are the barriers for learning?
    The barriers for learning could be children with special needs, unable to communicate and express oneself and interaction difficulties. To overcome these barriers, it?s important that all adults in the school are aware of the children?s needs and the approaches being used to help them. You could use visual prompts, gestures or a signing system. Use calming colours and not to use too much vivid display material. Enforcing routine is important which gives the children a sense of security.

5. What do you do in your leisure time?
    I enjoy playing badminton and cycling my bike. I like to be active and keep myself occupied all the time. I love travelling and learning about new cultures. I enjoy writing and solving computer problems for my family. I also enjoy watching movies and going to the theatre.

6. Why do you enjoy working with children?
    I enjoy working with children because they teach us patience, and I love experiencing the uniqueness of each child. It?s wonderful to feel I am helping and making a change in their life. Teaching children gives my life meaning, plus its fun. I?m very much a hands-on type of person and with children I can get to do that.

7. How would you cope with stress?
    I would make sure I stay in good health and do regular exercise. Fresh air is good for you. I?d learn to not worry so much and stay organised to reduce stress. I could meditate to help relax. If you enjoy your job, have fun and be creative you won?t be as stressed.

8. How would you manage students with different abilities?
    I would observe and assess and discuss my findings with a colleague.
    I?d do lots of choral drilling so that I wouldn?t single out the weaker student. I would use closed questions and keep them simple. I would give the weaker students less demanding tasks to help motivate them and give more demanding tasks to the stronger students. I would use pair and group work but being selective on who I group together.

9. What are learning styles?
    They are different approaches or ways of learning. The different learning styles are visual: using pictures and images, aural: using sound and music; verbal; using words and writing, physical; using your body, or sense of touch, logical; using logic, reasoning and systems, social; learning in groups or with other people and solitary; working alone using self-study.

10. How do you handle criticism?
    I welcome criticism. It is an important part of professional growth. I see it as an opportunity to improve my work.
    ?

11. What would you do if a child refuses to participate?
    It?s important not to pressure the child into participating but maybe give him an incentive to him to want to play. I could give him a choice to make him feel he?s decided for himself, for example, ?what would you rather do? Dance or sing?? With every rule, there needs to be a reward or a consequence. Lots of praise goes a long way.

12. Name 3 qualities in yourself that would be valuable for teaching?
    I am passionate. Without this, it is impossible to become a great teacher. If I don?t love the subject, how can my students expect to.
    I am very creative and enjoy being creative. This is very important when teaching and can make learning a much more enjoyable experience.
    I am good at connecting with students. This is important in being able to transmit information, and without information there?s no knowledge.

13. Who was your favourite teacher and why?
    My favourite teacher was Mr Seamus at university because he believed in me. He encouraged me and praised me to the class for my work. This made me more motivated and encouraged me to believe in my capabilities more.

14. What is creativity?
    It could be a song, a poem, a painting a dance or anything. It allows you to express your individuality, using imaginative approaches to make learning more interesting and fun.

15. What do you enjoy most about your degree and why?
    I love writing and my degree involved a lot of writing and using my imagination. I enjoyed studying my hobby extensively and watching my skills grow each time. My degree allowed me to develop my skills in leading and giving presentations which improved my confidence in myself.

16. What do you think will be the hardest part about teaching?
    I guess the hardest part about teaching is the adults and politics of teaching. Until you have proved how much you care about the students and how much work you?re willing to put into it, you tend to feel judged by the parents and so on. Teaching can be emotionally draining but it?s the kids are what keep you coming back for more.

17. What are some current strategies in schools / your subject

Increasing student physical activity during physical educations lessons to 50% of class time.
    Developing approaches to dealing with children with autism. Providing additional support mechanisms for children with speech and communication needs.

18. How would you approach teaching a difficult concept?
    I would relate concepts to the student?s prior knowledge. Use analogies, for example, ?Cat is to MEOW, Dog is to BARK?.

19. What improvements would you like to see made in schools?
    Personally, I believe if a child is assaulted or caused vandalism in the school then the parents should be fined. I think a teacher should be supervised once every couple of months to assess their teaching and attitude towards the children. There should be more attention paid towards gifted students.

20. What is your opinion on the current state of the education system?
    I think it should be more disciplined and harsher consequences of people?s actions. Lessons should be more practical and creative.

21. What are the benefits of exercise?
    Exercise for children will lead a happier and healthy living. Exercise promotes confidence and self-esteem and better memory. Obesity is an ever increasing problem in the UK and exercise is great to help battle it. It also improves the gross and fine motor skills, improving strength in muscles, hand and eye coordination.

22. When have you had to use your initiative and how?
    When teaching the classes in Thailand you are pretty much left to your own defences. Each of my 3 classes had a mentally disabled child which I was left to work out myself. I used my initiative in how I would plan my lessons for each class so that each learning style was catered for. I researched on the internet and got advice from experienced foreign teachers.

23. What are the ingredients of a good lesson?
    To be aware of the students with different learning styles. To engage and motivate students. Deliver skills creatively and effectively. To challenge the most able learners. Use technology and TAs to make an impact on learning. To have effective classroom management.

24. Why do we need a Teaching Assistant?
    So more attention is paid towards the children with special needs which is a demanding job in itself for one person alone. They are there to assist the teacher with the different jobs, assist with group work or one-to-ones.

25. How can you use I.C.T in PE?
    You can use a single screen when teaching the whole class to encourage students to assist with each other. Use a CD-ROM to illustrate images and videos of activities and to teach sequences.

26. What are your strengths in PE?
    I am very active and love sport. My strengths are having the knowledge about most sports and being able to demonstrate them effectively and enthusiastically.

27. "How would I make maths interesting?"
    I will use lots of colour using objects and visuals. I will use quantities using objects, solving problems such as halving, sharing, doubling. I could also use shapes and explore characteristics of everyday objects and use mathematical language to describe them.

28. Topical Issues
    Get London Reading Campaign: To encourage children to read and improve their literacy skills due to the decline in illiteracy in the UK. Stories can be downloaded to your mobile phone or computer. Volunteers are encouraged to read to the children.

Revised EYFS framework ? Additional consultation on the Learning and Development requirements:
    Parental Controls: Teaching children and parents about the dangers on the internet and how to avoid them.
    Extending free early education to more two-year olds: The Government plans to introduce a legal entitlement to free early education for two-year-olds. The majority of free places will be for workless families; the poorest 20 per cent. Also, it is aimed at families on low income, children with special educational needs and disabilities. This will help improve cognitive and social outcomes for children during their pre-schooling.

2. IS ANY ONE DOING THE SCITT COURESE WITH ROBERT OWEN IN SEPT THIS YEAR!!!! AS I URGENTLY NEED TO GET IN TOUCH WITH SOME PEOPLE AND GET SOME ADVICE AND ALSO A LIFT MAYBE!!
    CARMEL

3. Hello, when was your interview? How did it go? I had an interview on the 19th and am still waiting to hear any news. Just wondered how it went

Thanks