1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

review meeting

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by dixie64, Feb 22, 2016.

1. dixie64

dixie64 New commenter

Following my recent post as expected I've been called for my first Promoting health at work review as my sick absence has now gone past 30 days. I have prepared my resignation and will send it in this week - the meeting is set for Wednesday in view of me leaving do I need to attend the meeting or can I cancel it. I'm not involving the union with my situation as I'm too tired to fight and just want it over with. I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks.

2. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

I tthink the best advice would be to seek some help and support from the Teacher Support Network and your union. Even if you don't want to fight, they can help with sorting out an agreement re references etc., which will help you when you are well enough to think about returning to employment. There's also your mssing increment!

I'm really sorry things are so bad for you. Do take good care of yourself.

dixie64 likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

dixie64 likes this.
  4. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Sorry to hear this.

Is your union now involved? If you are paying the arrears (as you said you were, I think) then there is no breach of contract and they must support you.

dixie64 likes this.
  5. dixie64

dixie64 New commenter

I spoke to the union again and they've realised I shouldn't be paying the arrears so I'm now paying from this month and therefore not entitled to support for the current situation as it began during my lapse in payment, I know they have their rules and it was my fault my membership lapsed but it's difficult not to feel bitter but que sera sera. They have given me advice and for that I am grateful.

Wednesdays meeting is the first step of the promoting health at work procedure and the request to attend was very reasonable and not at all threatening. It is with the business manager and not the head which I was a little surprised by. There will be someone from HR there.

The time off work is helping considerably and I know leaving is the right thing to do, however I am so sad about leaving all my colleagues and children in this manner. Not going back feels like I've failed but if I do go back - even for a week or two I know all the good the break has done will be undone.

I think I may just attend and explain my intention to resign and see what happens. I still don't know whether to put my resignation date as per the burgundy book - 30th April (end of Spring term). I know the doctor will provide a sick note until that time. But it feels wrong - like I'm taking advantage. What does anybody else think?

Thanks for all the support - this forum is providing such a lifeline for me - so much reassurance knowing I'm not alone.

6. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Is there any possibility that your sickness absence is the consequence of a condition that could amount to a disability?

7. dixie64

dixie64 New commenter

No - it is purely stress and anxiety related. Would disability make a difference?

8. missRV

missRV Occasional commenter

Stress/Anxiety/mental health issues can lead to disability. Have you seen OH?

9. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Yes it would. If the absences are disability-related, it is likely to be a discriminatory act on the part of the employer to apply the sickness absence policy in the same way as to a non-disabled person. Even if some allowances are made for the disability, it may not be enough if the revised provision still causes the disabled person to be treated less-favourably.

There has recently been a very important decision on this. Griffiths v Secretary of State for Work and Pensions UKEAT/0372/13 [2014]EqLR 545

If an employer's sickness absence policy requires an employee to "maintain a certain level of attendance at work 'as not to be subject to the risk of disciplinary sanctions'", it is likely to be discriminatory.

Only you know the extent and nature of your medical condition. The relevant definition from s 6 Equality Act 2010 is a physical or mental condition that has a 'substantial' and 'long-term' effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activites.

'substantial' has been decided to mean 'more than trivial'.

'long-term' is has lasted or is expected to last for at least 12 months.

'day to day activities' means just that - if the symptoms occur only at work it doesn't count.

https://www.gov.uk/definition-of-disability-under-equality-act-2010