1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reverse Rewards

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Rfoster86, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Rfoster86

Rfoster86 New commenter

Hello,

I work in an Alternative Provision for Behaviour. Students within the academy are impacted most by the removal of something that they value, which is why we have implemented a Reverse Rewards system.

Do other schools use this type of rewards system? If yes, would you be kind enough to share your policy and share good practice to develop each other's policy?

Many thanks in advance!

Robin Foster
    Assistant Vice Principal - Inclusion

2. phujab

phujab New commenter

My apologise because I'm going to answer your question with a question. You have caught my curiosity but I genuinely don't understand.
    What sorts of things of value do you remove?
    Is this not just the same as punishment?

3. impis

impis New commenter

When my son was in Secondary School [he's now 30 years old], the school 'bought in' an american behaviour scheme. I don't know what it was called, sorry, but it worked something like this: Each term, the students were given sheets of A4 paper printed with lots of smiley faces. These represented the expected behaviour. Each time a student exhibited negative behaviours, they would have a smiley face crossed off. I'm guessing there would have been a scale for how many would be crossed off, but don't know for sure. Eg/ Swearing = loss of 3 faces. Anyhow - there were prizes at the end of each term for students who had retained certain number of smilies, and a big prize at the end of the year [a mountain bike, no less!!] for the student with the most smilies. This system worked very well, and was completely fair to the students who always behaved well and who would have been overlooked for reward on the other types of behaviour management schemes.
    As a teacher in a school for MLD students, I used a scaled down version with my own tutor group, with great success.
    I hope that helps.

sabrinakat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Reverse Rewards?

Sounds like something that been has around for a long time and used by parents: if said child disobeys a rule, then said child will forfeit computer games, pocket money, or going out with friends.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I agree. But what can they forfeit at school? Breaktime? Then it is the same a detention...so errrr????

6. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

I wonder if Robin Foster has anything in between his legs?

If so ... I hope it is a unicycle!

Teachers in the type of school he works at should be asking the community for positive ways forward rather than punishment structures.

He is welcome to come to 'circus school for teachers'!

There the 'teachers' are former 'misbehaving pupils' who have learnt many an interesting skill.

Kevin the Clown

7. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

Not phrased as such, but I think I get the idea... at a previous school, also an alt provision, children got points per lesson. Points allowed them to access break time activities and treats, and end of week fun times. Points were levelled, and thus a lack of points meant a lack of the things they wanted to do.

I do think impis makes a valid point about the good students who can fly under the radar