1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Revealed: The 10 most influential figures in education in 2017

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 2, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

‘For the first time, Tes is recognising the 10 most influential figures in education in 2017.

The list includes union leaders who helped make school funding a top election issue, the leader of Britain’s “strictest school”, the chief inspector who is transforming perceptions of Ofsted, and a grassroots campaign to improve the ethnic and gender balance of education leaders.

But there can only be one Tes Person of the Year, and the inaugural winner is Russell Hobby, chief executive of Teach First. The former general secretary of the NAHT headteachers' union, helped to secure a better deal on primary assessment for NAHT members.’

You can read the full list of influential figures in education in 2017: https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...ed-10-most-influential-figures-education-2017

Do you think those who made the shortlist deserve the accolade? Who do you think is a worthy candidate and should have been included in the list? Who should take the top accolade as the most influential figure in education? Who do you think has failed to make the grade when it comes to improving standards, working conditions, school life, mental health etc in education?

2. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

Balderdash.

In English state education there is one and one only person of importance; the OFSTED boss.

Trailed, a considerable way behind these days , I will admit, by The Headteacher.

(Whose word pre-Ofsted was admittedly on a par with holy writ. No, higher than that in a secular age; from 1944 to 1989, that is)

Anyone else having the slightest importance currently?

No.

3. TES_Rosaline

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

There are at least two questions here. As @BigFrankEM says, the Chief inspector far and away wields most influence as everyone else jumps to her tune. I'm not going to argue with the other names on the list. It's always going to be made of the people who head up the organisations that run education or represent people in education.
    The other question is whether they have done a constructive job. I'm slightly out of the Ofsted loop as my organisation doesn't get visited by them;). Mrs Spielmann seems to be making the right noises, but I'm not convinced that this is having much effect either in the inspection process or in the way that schools are run to satisfy Ofsted first and only then to think about what is best for the pupils. I don't have access to enough of the data.

5. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Established commenter

Oh, it's an accolade is it? I can't get past the great swathes of idiots who've had a negative influence on education in the last year.
    I guess the only positive influence for me has come from those teachers that have had the courage to escape. You all deserve a medal in my opinion... although the country would probably go bust if we tried to mint that many!

TCSC47 and phlogiston like this.
  6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

Thanks for the list Ros. It makes some interesting reading and has increased my knowledge of what is going on in parts of our education system.

However, as you probably know these sort of award thingys get up most teacher's noses. Are you going to have an award ceremony where we all wear black?

I would give the award to my young friend who had taken to hiding in the stationary cupboard to weep only a year ago but who has made great efforts to get herself better and remain in teaching.

And as for "Teach First" ---- well!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  7. TES_Rosaline

You're welcome @TCSC47. Thank you to everyone for your frank comments on this topic.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Given that the consequences of all the meddling he did are still having a massive effect on Education I think Gove should still be in the top half of the top ten!

9. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

I think an apology (only a small one of course) is due from me. This is a list of "influential" people in education, not as I was too quick to read, "best", "most helpful", "best contribution", etc., etc. As such I should be able to read it and move on. However, as long as "influential" was not short hand for "influential to the better", then I over reacted.

However, my comments on my abhorrence of "medal schemes" for teachers and hangers on still stands. The heroes and heroines of the teaching profession are those who battle against the lack of resources, the lack of a TA for a statemented child, the stress of the name, blame and shame of OFSTED, the sheer overwork, the micro management from above, the use of their profession as a whipping boy by the gutter media and the use of their backs for the grubby politicians to climb up the greasy pole.

Rock On All!

Mrsmumbles and phlogiston like this.
  10. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

As Meldrew would cry, “I don’t believe it!” I’m shocked, TES. This should be an anti-award. Most of the people on your list are drooling buffoons. A fair few are unhinged. Others deserve derision and direct challenge, not praise. I dislike the hidden agenda and covert right wing Grangrindian ideologies encompassed by these sorts of lists. When will the government, press and pundit brigades latch on to this stark fact: keep dismissing, downplaying and denigrating teachers, and keep wrecking the education and life chances of our young? Without good teachers, schools and students are stuffed. We make the results, often, in some cases, quite literally. It’s a broken system. Stamping on teacher morale a bit more just widens the ever-growing exodus door. Hmph.

11. Mrsmumbles

Apart from Geoff Barton, who is brilliant, in my opinion. He should be there, for sure. Make him number one!

12. Mrsmumbles

They have to make it clear if the influence on education is positive or negative. If it’s the latter, I fully agree!