1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Revealed: 62 private schools withdrawing from Teachers’ Pension Scheme

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Aug 13, 2019.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Mrsmumbles and emerald52 like this.
  2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

There are around 2,500 independent schools, so 62 is a very small proportion of the total.

They are mostly prep schools and, with a couple of exceptions, little-known private schools. It has always been the case that working in independent schools that do not have a solid financial foundation is a risk. No comfort to the teachers concerned, of course.

emerald52 likes this.
  3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

23.6% employers contribution to a pension scheme up from 16.48% is a big hit on payroll costs which is difficult to absorb. It's like a 7% pay rise.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My school have committed to remaining in the TPS. One of the smaller schools locally is on the list. They have been struggling financially for a number of years. The sudden increase in pension contributions would stop them from being a viable business. It will be interesting to see how their decision impacts on their ability to recruit.

smoothnewt likes this.
  5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Is a teacher's pension also increasing by 7%? I think the increase is not funding better pensions so it isn't a pay rise but an increase in fees to run the pension.

6. LondonCanary

It's an increase in pension contribution costs which are part of employee compensation. It isn't caused by administrative fees but the cost of pensions paid to already retired teachers.

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

So employer contributions rise every year? Presumably as teachers' pay increases? But teachers' pay has not risen by inflation in recent years so the contributions won't have either. Pensions have risen by CPI which was a result of reneging on them rising by RPI and that is part of the teachers' compensation so it is up to the employers to make sure they are funding their agreements properly. This is an adjustment to do as they said to me they would, it does not make me better off but prevents the employers from making me worse off.

8. LondonCanary

That and additional funding so that the scheme can meet its obligations.
    Like a cost of living pay rise.

smallcreep0 likes this.
  9. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Erm ... I may seem a bit of a fascist, but why should private school teachers even be IN the TPS? If they can be in the TPS, then there is no need for private schools, which should be banned. There I've said it!

10. LondonCanary

Because they are teachers? Like in the name of the scheme.
    You would have to build a lot of new schools (2,500 ?) and recruit a lot of new teachers to replace them.

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Not like a pay rise at all.

Pension received is dependent on earnings, therefore pension doesn't go up either.
    Excellent idea, just watch funding for state schools sky rocket.

12. LondonCanary

Employers' contribution to a pension scheme is part of employees' compensation. If the employer bears the cost of increases, it is an increase in compensation. That is why I compared it to a pay rise.
    Obviously. Providing 2,500 new schools would be costly.

13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Inappropriately.

Disproportionally so as the new helicopter parents wanting the best for little Tarquin aren't going to put up with peeling paint and requests for loo rolls.

14. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I see one of the schools on the list is Jeremy Corbyn's primary school - Castle House School in Newport, Shropshire.

15. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

It is not true that the contributions go up to pay out retirees. Teaching pensions are paid out of government income. There is no teachers’ pension fund. The increases are just to bring more income into the government but they could be spent on unicorns.

blazer and nomad like this.
  16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

No; an adjustment required of employers to meet their obligations. It simply gives me what my employers promised; the onus is on them to meet their obligations. My pension scheme was more generous than that of present teachers because the employers decided to renege on their promises and change the scheme for present teachers.

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It is always a case of increasing profit.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Are they paid according to national teachers' pay agreements?

19. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Are academy school teachers?

20. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

True, but government policy is that contribution rates should be the same as they would be if it were a a funded scheme so that teachers/teachers' employers pay a 'fair market rate' for the scheme benefits.