1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reusable nappies

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Lohman, May 24, 2011.

1. Is anyone planning on using these or have experience of using them? I'm considering it but have found there to be too many and can't decide which would be best so any advice would be helpful.

2. Is anyone planning on using these or have experience of using them? I'm considering it but have found there to be too many and can't decide which would be best so any advice would be helpful.

3. I am wanting to use these, I'm only 12 weeks but it is something I have always felt strongly about. So many disposable nappies end up in land fill and if I can do my small bitthen I will.
    I think there may be a thread on here already. I don't know which came out as the best but people did say they weren't really suitable for night time usage as they leaked.

4. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

I use Smartipants and they're great. Really easy and the are better at comtaining poo (breastfed baby) than any disposable we used.
    At night time we use TotBots Bamboozle Stretchies with a wrap, and they don't leak at all.
    We went to fill-your-pants.com and I think they have a 20% off offer at the moment (May). We didnt' get that but will save a fortune in the long run.
    I also use reusable wipes and think they're great, too!

5. i love reusables. there are some lovely ones out there. we have a mixture of types but they are all pocket nappies, smartipants, bumgenius. we have birth to potty types. however little baby is very long and skinny (14 weeks, not even 10lbs yet) and they are pretty bulky on her. they were too big to use until recently.

I don't agree with this. we rarely have leaks, only if they are very very wet. try thenappylady.co.uk she has a recommendation service & lots of advice.

6. Our council runs an incentive scheme. We looked on their website, went along to a meeting and got some info. The lady who ran it has a sort of mixed trial pack that includes loads of different brands so you can work out which of the many styles available are best for you and your family. Ours is arriving on Wednesday! Perhaps there's something similar available where you are?

7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Apparently tests have shown that reusable really are not more environmentally friendly, which is why councils stopped giving out free ones. There is loads of research which you can look at to make upyour ownmind.
    From experience, babies get less nappy rash in dispos, BUT potty train earlier in towellings.
    It is your choice, but are you going back to work? I ask as some childcarers will not use non disposables.
    Also some say bulky towellings hold back development.
    But my mum used them on me and I walked at 8 months and climbed at 12, so who knows eh?

8. Unfortunately we have a lack of indoor space too (for a pail, etc), although I am toying with the idea of getting a couple of washables to try, maybe just for daytimes.

9. emmam25

emmam25 New commenter

This is really interesting! I have looked into this with OH as we were intially very keen on reuse-ables but having just moved into a tiny flat (bought long before we knew I was expecting) we have very little space for hanging out our washing as it is so I am struggling to see how we could dry them without constantly having nappies airing on every available surface!

I also found when researching that there was negligible environmental benefit due to the fact that they have to be washed on a hot wash. I found this on Baby Centre;

"A report for the Environment Agency published in 2008 compared the environmental impact of using disposable and cloth nappies over a period of two-and-a-half years. The Environment Agency worked out that using disposables would create approximately 550kg of carbon emissions.

For cloth nappies, the calculations are more complicated because so much depends on the way you wash and dry them. Assuming that you wash your nappies at 60 degrees C (the minimum temperature recommended by the Department of Health) and dry three out of four loads on a washing line, the rest being tumble dried, you would produce around 570kg of carbon emissions. Using the tumble dryer more often would push your carbon emissions even higher. "

10. emmam25

emmam25 New commenter

My council used to offer this but it has been cut due to the recession. Like everything else it seems :(

11. Thanks, SLC! I am now 17+5 and have read that babies can hear after 20 weeks. Hence the bola necklace will go on after my 20 week scan! I am really lucky as my Mum in law in NZ and sis in law in Oz arranged to have one delivered to me without me mentioning it. Awesome.
    Does the nappy lady charge for initial enquiries or just if she supplies you? Ooh I make her sound like a drug dealer...

12. Only if you buy them. I would recommend getting a couple of different makes once you've worked out what type to go for e.g. pocket, folding, all in one etc. and then waiting and trying them on your LO. (You probably don't want to use them at first anyway - meconium is a nightmare to get off things.) You can also borrow trial packs from the real nappy exchange (there are lots around - just google), which saves you having to buy them at the start.

13. I used bambino mio for my lo. No nappy rash, easy to use and accessible to buy - they even sell the range (cheaply) in Wilkinsons!
    Just got the whole set out of the loft as intend to reuse them for number 2 as they've washed really well and still have plenty of life left in them - will save me a lot so v pleased!

14. No she doesn't charge and was really helpful. Just fill in the questionnaire and she will email you.

15. Red wine fan

Red wine fan New commenter

I used to advise on and sell cloth nappies after bringing up 2 children in them. Sadly the company I worked for is not in business any more, but I would definitely recommend seeing and feeling cloth nappies before you buy them, either from an advisor or via a Real Nappy Network. Go Real can probably help here.
    I want to set a few myths aside:
    Firstly the Environment Agency reports were paid for by AHPMA, the asborbent hygiene product manufacturers. The previous poster who asked if Pampers did the report was spot on.
    Secondly, their statistics were so flawed as to be laughable; for example they found 100% of terry square users ironed their nappies - the sample size was either 2 or 4 (I have forgotten which, sorry!) I had more customers who used terry squares than they could find and can categorically state that 0% of my customers ironed them. If you choose to iron nappies, the cost will increase, but as another poster has said, it is an energy cost, which is less damaging than leaving human waste in the ground.
    Thirdly, the old chestnut about cloth nappies stunting development is complete tosh. Disposables have only been around for 30+ years so do people honestly think that Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill et al showed developmental problems?
    People with small babies are incredibly defensive about their lifestyle choices - I know because I was just like that! I didn't want to use cloth nappies because of the washing, the poo, the faff factor and because I could afford disposables. I was persuaded to try 6 and took it very slowly and within a month had moved over completely to cloth. You don't have to buy whole sets of nappies, in fact most *experts* have a collection of types and styles. Types that have been mentioned on here of which I have direct experience are Tots Bots: Scottish company, excellent reputation, bomb proof nappies but because they are so absorbent, they take a while to dry. Bambino Mio: Chinese manufactured flat nappy. Not to everyone's liking and you MUST use a shaped well-fitting wrap, not the BM ones unless they have improved markedly over the last 2 years. Mothercare: complete rubbish, hopeless aftercare and poorly made thin nappies. There are much much better nappies on the market which will last for more than one child. You do get what you pay for, and a decent nappy will last for at least 2 children. Terry squares are fantastic - I never had a leak with them - but you need to get good quality ones - Little Lambs are very thin and of dubious ethical origin.
    Sorry this is an epic post but if anyone wants some impartial advice, I'm happy to answer PMs

16. Interesting post redwine.
    I can't access amy messages or send PM's. I'll just ask on here of the totsbots ones do you think the all in one (easy fit I think) or the two part bamboozle is better. I was thinking bamboozle for night time/dryer days (if you can predict) and then easy fit for the day times/general use.

Thanks

17. Very informative - thank you, Red wine fan!

18. Morning all. Had anyone tried little lambs nappies.They aren't birth to potty but a friend just sent me a link as it is what she used. I guess it could be a little more expensive but you get what you pay for (generally) so I don't mind.
    I want to get super organised this next week and be all ready for when I'm back at work.

19. Just wanted to join in because I am a recovering nappy-holic! My youngest is 8 but I still find myself automatically folding flannels and teatowels into little nappies [​IMG] We used a mixture of fitted and flat. Personally I think that for newborns, tiny terries with nappi nippas can't be beaten - once you have cracked the folding (it takes a couple of tries to get a really good fit around the leg) you get cheap, reliable nappies that wash and dry really quickly. I used Motherease wraps mainly, because I preferred poppers to velcro but there are hundreds of WAHM brands worth looking into. A stretchy fitted wrap with good fastenings is essential for any nappy.
    For an active baby, fitted nappies are fabulous. I can't even begin to list the different brands we used - at one point I think I had 16 different makes!
    I highly recommend Cuddlebabes as a seller for newbies to the world of cloth: the owner is really good at giving tailored advice and you don't get the hard sell of some of the other suppliers.
    My children potty trained at 22 months (day and night) and 27 months (daytime - nights took until aged 3) and both had beautiful skin. Soft flushable paper liners (the thick deluxe ones) are a godsend for dealing with poo which, as has already been discussed, should always be flushed and never put into landfill, even if you are using disposables. The thought of all that human waste in landfill is just vile.
    Have fun with all your lovely nappies! If you buy handknitted organic wool nappy pants you are really hardcore. Mine had stripy ones. I was seriously addicted.