1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reusable name badges?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by toty, Sep 17, 2010.

1. toty

toty New commenter

Hello
    I'm with over 100 children each week at the same school & I have a terrible memory! In other situations I usually give them name stickers that I make myself & if I'm lucky they'll last the day. I would like to come up with something a little more permanent. I would be grateful if anyone had any ideas please. Thanks

2. I am like you in that I have a poor memory for names and faces.
    First of all make sure you have a class list and a seating plan. Then in the first day or two try and turn it into a little D&T project. Get the children to design and make a name badge and table sign and maybe even something like a business card. That will get them thinking of simple little things like materials to use, sizes etc.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Get in touch with a secondary school and see if they'll run you some plastic ones off on their laser for a cost (if you just do first names then you can reuse the vast majority) x

4. toty

toty New commenter

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable

Thank you both for your excellent
    suggestions. I'm with nursery, reception & two Y1 classes over one
    & half days. I would love to just either laminate their names (done
    by myself or the children) & use safety pins or whatever but I know I can't
    do this for health & safety reasons. It would be great to think that
    I could just get the children to 'stick' them to their sweatshirts & then
    take them back each time until hopefully I wouldn't need them. Once again
    thank you - I really appreciate your replies.

5. toty

toty New commenter

Oops! don't know what happened there!

6. Could you put those little velcro dots on the back of the laminate?
    So there are no pins to worry about? Would take a bit of time to make but then should be resusable?

7. I just tell the children that I'm not very good at remembering names, so if I keep asking them, or get them wrong - please put me right and I'll try my best to remember them. They tend to like checking at the end of sessions whose I've learnt yet and are really helpful reminding you or telling you things like "I've got my hairband on with my name on today so you'll know it all day!"
    I never have the time for name stickers as I'm usually the last one to get the register done and into assembly anyway! Mind you - I was always the last one into assembly even with my own classes!

8. toty

toty New commenter

Thank you for taking the time to reply - I really appreciate it!
    Like you sensei123 I thought great - I'll use velcro but when I tried it (hooks side) it just fell off as there was no loops side to attach to.
    I'm going to make a seating plan as Bronco suggested for the older children (although the areas I'm covering are mainly carpet based but it might help me to remember) & go along with MisterFlibble's thought.
    A big thank you once again.

9. I am starting to succumb to short term memory loss and find it difficult to remember names, my solution is that I tell the children I am a doddery old lady and if I cannot remember their name I will call the girls Ethel and the boys Roger (or something similar). The other thing is the fruit and veg thing - get them to say - My name is Jamal and I like jackfruit (or whatever) - then if you forget they tell you the fruit and usually it triggers their name.

10. toty

toty New commenter

Nice one CKKendall! I like it!!

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good to know it's not just me then!

12. I usually joke that I'll call them all Bob - at which point things descend into mass giggles very very quickly and they spend half the afternoon telling me off for calling them their proper name and that they're really called Bob!
    Always handy when you get amateur graffiti artists in the class - one lad was most upset and alarmed when I called on him by name... "how you know I was called that?"... "well, you've just spent the last 10 minutes writing it all over your pencil case"... "oh" (squirms)

13. toty

toty New commenter

What a relief knowing that I'm not alone! Just wish I had a good memory. Think I'll try the 'Bob' tactic!!!

14. littlemissraw

You could have them like a VIP pass and laminate them an put them on string/ribbon for round their necks? x

15. toty

toty New commenter

Many thanks littlemissraw. I was thinking of that but I'm a bit worried about the health & safety aspect of children so young. In the good/bad old days when I had my own class I just used to laminate & add safety pins. I'm a bit concerned about being a supply teacher & all the bumph that goes with it. I really did think about what you suggested & might still go ahead & do it. Isn't a shame when you have to think so much about what you are doing when all you want to do is for the benefit of both the children & teacher. Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate your help. x

16. littlemissraw

You could velcro the back of the ribbons so if it gets pulled it will open? Do they have 'proper' ties? Surely they are just as potentially dangerous? Otherwise I'd get some white acrylic/perspex table plaques (again secondary D&T is your best bet) and you can write names on in perm marker (this comes off with hairspray and/or some board sprays) x

17. toty

toty New commenter

That's an idea! Many thanks!! x

18. Another good idea for getting rid of permanent marker - discovered after some little sod had drawn all along my brand new car with one!! Just get a board marker (dry wipe kind) and scribble over the permanent marker - do a small area at a time, and it'll just wipe off with a cloth leaving no permanent marker at all!! Even worked on my Kangoo!!

19. Such a very funny post, remember names of all the children [​IMG] I found some interesting teacher name badge articles at http://www.namebadgecompany.co.uk worth a read, well good luck Toty with your 100 children to remember...maybe a new mind could help, good luck.