1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to work

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cheryl13, Jul 15, 2019.

1. cheryl13

cheryl13 New commenter

Hi,

I’ve been off work since the very start of May due to surgery on my ovaries. Initially it was for suspected ovarian cancer but thankfully everything is okay.

The surgery consisted of full abdominal opening including cutting through stomach muscles etc and I was given an 8 week sick note.

I’ve had another note since then as I’m definitely not well enough to be back teaching for whole days, and my note runs out this week in time for me to return to work on Friday before breaking up for summer.

I’m being referred to OH this week and just wondered if this was normal practice. I’m quite anxious about going. I want to be back to work and aside from this surgery, I’ve never had more than a couple of days off sick with a bug.

Thanks
    Cheryl

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

This is completely normal - and it would be negligent of your HT not to refer you to OH.

You have had major surgery. OH has to assess if you can stand in a classroom or on duty. Whether you can lift and carry objects. Whether there is a risk if you're accidentally knocked in your core muscles - child running past with big bag, for example. Go and be honest with OH.

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Agreed. I'm off having just had a new hip, and it's normal to refer after 6 weeks (I work for the LA). It's important you are properly well. Hopefully if you are in a school, you can work one day then have more time to be strong for September. Im going for a phased return starting September which will enable me to build back up. I'm sure you'll find you're much more tired trying to do a full day after being off a few months. Just be honest with OH.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The very last day? For one day?

Go in. Warn them you might end up slumped in a heap or having to go home but you are frightfully keen to come in, of course! Thrilled to say goodbye and also get some idea of what September will bring. But very likely to conk out with exhaustion and pain but hey ho!

And go in. And act both crippled with fatigue and pain and glad to see everyone.

The OH business is a very good thing. Tell them what the doctor told you about possible complications and the importance of taking it easy! Set an expectation that it MAY not all be plain-sailing.

Going in for one day just makes it impossible for anyone to quibble about holidays and sick notes and pay. Might make your life easier in the long run. Do it if you possibly can.

5. cheryl13

cheryl13 New commenter

Amazing, thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Im well aware that I’ll be exhausted come Friday evening as even a day sat in the garden seems to exhaust me at the moment.

Thanks again

agathamorse likes this.
  6. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Good luck - let us all know how it goes.

agathamorse and grumpydogwoman like this.
  7. UpperPayShelf

UpperPayShelf New commenter

OH are going to be on your side, if you are not fit to work and you go in, there would be hell to pay for your boss if you are poorly

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I wouldn't go back to work until seen by OH. If OH deem you fit to return and that is in the school holidays, you still officially 'return to work' even though you will not be on work premises. Your sick leave record would be stopped at that point, preserving more of your sick pay (full pay) entitlement for possible use later in the sick pay year.