1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to work

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by clblake3, May 9, 2019.

1. clblake3

clblake3 New commenter

I'm starting to think about nursery places as a friend suggested they get taken quite quickly. My baby is 10 weeks old and I won't be returning to work till February 2020. Some of the nurseries have been in touch with me to let me know they have very few places left. Ideally I would return to work part-time but at what point do I discuss this with the headteacher? I know it's quite early but I don't want to leave it too late and risk not finding a nursery for when I go back to work. Also how keep in touch days work?

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It's best to put in your part-time request now, especially as I think you're secondary?
    They'll be drawing up the new timetables soon, and they may prefer to put yours in as a part-time timetable from the outset. If they need to lose a few hours from your subject, they can just have you as a part-timer; if they don't, they'll need to recruit. Even if they're recruiting someone, taking an existing full-time timetable and splitting it can end up with loads of split classes, whereas if they're planning from the outset, they can try and make it work well for a split.
    It's sometimes best to sound them out before making the request, because having an idea of the likely reaction can affect how you write your formal application.

Nursery places do run very short in some areas, especially as the year goes on (as most children leave the nursery to start school).

Keep in touch days are by mutual agreement; either you or the school can say no. Having one near the end of maternity leave to go in and sort handover can be sensible. It can also be sense to use them to attend any relevant training, eg if your department is having some time to look at a new syllabus. I doubt many teachers get anywhere near 10 days.