1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to work

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by stargo, Mar 23, 2012.

1. I have been off sick with WRS since January the pressure put on me by a new head was terrible and she swapped all our job responsibities around to de skill everyone and has put me in charge of a subject I know nothing about .Although I feel stronger now and am going to try and go back I have heard via other teachers that the head wants me to do the consulations I missed from last term then consulations again the following term. She also wants to do last term PPM meeting and next terms PPm meeting( I have not been there how can I talk about the childrens progress), She also wants me to give a talk to staff about the subject I am responsible for. then there is report writing coming up plus back to the planning that takes all weekend (Primary 11 subjects) I am terrified of the amount of work I have to do and this is what made me unwell. What can I do?
    Stargo

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I don't know what consulations are, but if they are part of your job your head can direct you to reasonably undertake them. The same with PPM meetings, whatever they are - You would have to review the progress made in your absence and talk about that which would catch you up nicely on where they are at.

If you are that terrified about the amount of work coming up, in the first instance communicate this to your head teacher and explain this so that perhaps a plan for your return can be put together that would ease you back in.

3. Are occupational health involved, if so see if you can go back on a phased return. That will at least enable you to switch back in to the world of work. Often the thought of going back is much worse than actually doing it. Just make sure you pace yourself.