1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to work pregnant after maternity leave-help!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Sonia23, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Sonia23

Sonia23 New commenter

Hi

Please can anybody shed some light on my situation. I'm due to go back to work very soon after a year off for mat leave. I have resigned my post to leave at the end of August.
    I was very poorly and had hyperemesis as well as other issues with my pregnancy... my head wasn't happy or very supportive during my first pregnancy. It looks like my pregnancy will be very similar to my last one, I'm very unwell. I don't think I'll be able to make
    It to work unless a miracle happens. I just want to know where I stand. If I don't go into work as I'm pregnant and sick, do I still need to pay back 13 weeks of my maternity back?
    TIA

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Assuming Burgundy Book applies:
    Para 5.3 says the 13 week period starts from the date the teacher returns to work or the date during the school holiday on which the teacher is declared medically fit to be available to work.
    That sounds worryingly like it doesn't count if you're off ill. On the other hand, absence for pregnancy-related reasons is often treated differently, so maybe it will.
    Para 7.4 says that where a teacher is unable to return to work at the end of her period of maternity leave due to sickness, the sick pay scheme shall apply to such absence.
    Unhelpfully, it doesn't say whether the time off sick counts towards the 13 week.

I think you need to talk to your union.

sabrinakat likes this.