1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to work phased return

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by minicooper53, Mar 21, 2016.

1. minicooper53

minicooper53 Established commenter

Hi

After being off with WRS I am now returning to work on a phased return to say I am scared is an understatement but I realise this is a normal feeling after being off for a while .

Any words of wisdom from anyone ??

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Take it steadily. If you need support from your doctor, get back there.
    Make sure you have an ally who'll make you a cup of tea at the end of the day.

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  3. poltergeist

poltergeist New commenter

Don't try to do too much - you don't have to prove anything to anybody. Is there someone supportive you can talk to if you're finding things too much?

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It doesn't seem that long ago since you were signed off and (let's be honest) in a right state! Are you absolutely sure about this?

5. minicooper53

im getting bored at home and overthinking things so going to take it slowly

thethiefoftime likes this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

That's a good idea. Baby steps. You'll be fine. I think you're getting your mojo back.

7. nomorenails

nomorenails New commenter

Go as slow as they'll let you, it's hard, but if you're determined, you can do it.

8. minicooper53

I'll try I'm bloody nervous though

9. grumpydogwoman

Just think how bored you were at home. Think about the lovely money. Think about how you're just plodding along on the road to the end of March and April and so forth. One day at a time.

poltergeist likes this.
  10. thethiefoftime

thethiefoftime Occasional commenter

I'm in the same situation, @minicooper53 I've been off since early January and I'm returning after the holidays. Feel free to contact me as I know how you're feeling! I'm also bored out of my brain too!

11. minicooper53

Have sent you a message thiefoftime

12. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

Make a list of all the things you love about teaching, and then tick them off each day to make sure that you're getting some of the good stuff. Good luck!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  13. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

Definitely focus on the good things. I find keeping brief lists of things I want to accomplish each day allows me to manage my workload and time better. I do a list of 'musts, shoulds and coulds'. I must get these 2 things done, once they're done then I should get to these and then if I'm really on a roll, then I could get this done too. Make sure they are done to your priorities though, not someone elses otherwise they won't help at all.

Take it slowly and steadily and you'll be ok. It's ok to still need extra support though, even with a phased return as it's a bit of a shock to the system getting back into it, even on a greatly reduced timetable.

senlady and grumpydogwoman like this.
  14. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

ohhhhh @englishteach101 I am loving the 'musts, shoulds and coulds' I may well pinch that (even for home!) but sadly I think I would have more than 2 on my musts list!

As for phase return, don't let anyone hurry it, YOUR PACE all the time! However bored you were you must keep the brakes on!