1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to work in January- what do I put as my start date?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by rainbowdrop86, Aug 7, 2014.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Hi everyone

Wow its been ages since Ive been on TES!

Im currently on maternity leave and plan to return in January. This is earlier than my original start date and I have akready unofficially informed the school.

Im just drafting my letter to officially inform them but i was wondeirng what date to put as my new start date, or do I put a new end date? Can i put it as the first day of the christmas holidays so i get paid over the holidays? Autumn term ends 19th December. So should I put it as id now like my maternity leave to end on the 19th, or do I state it as wanting to return to work on the 20th, or does it need to be a monday?

Not sure on the technicalities.

Thanks

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You can put whatever date you like irrespective of whether it be a holiday period or not, and regardless of the 'day' of the week.

You would, of course, be wise to cite the first day of the Christmas holiday as your intended date of return so you pick up normal salary from that date.