1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

returning to work first day of summer holidays.

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by seriouslikecrazy, May 18, 2012.

1. Hi all. I very rearely have chanceto get on here now but a quick question. I have read on here you can return to work on the first day of the summer holidays. However my HT (who is really lovely btw) thinks I must be in school the last day of term. HR don't know either apparently!!!! Is there anywhere I can find the evidence which states I can put first day of hols as my return date? If I was off sick I could be fit to return on the first day of hols so don't see this as being any different.

Thanks in advance.

2. Hi all. I very rearely have chanceto get on here now but a quick question. I have read on here you can return to work on the first day of the summer holidays. However my HT (who is really lovely btw) thinks I must be in school the last day of term. HR don't know either apparently!!!! Is there anywhere I can find the evidence which states I can put first day of hols as my return date? If I was off sick I could be fit to return on the first day of hols so don't see this as being any different.

Thanks in advance.

3. You can because I did it! I checked with my union- could you contact them for confirmation?

4. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

I did it! It's great. Burgundy book states you can state any day of the year as your return to work date. If HT is difficult remind them that you have the support of your union and they should toe the line.

5. princessmelody

princessmelody New commenter

The others are right- you can def put the first day of holidays as your return to work day but just a thought- have you considered going in for the last day of term? 1. Extra days pay 2. Nobody does any real work on the last day 3. It may be nice to catch up with everyone 4. You can get some stuff sorted for September without having to go in the holidays. Also you could use it as a bit of a practice run for getting yourself and LO ready in the morning. I went back at the beginning of July (money not choice) but it certainly made going back in September easy.

6. This is what I have planned, although I think I'm going to go in for a few days at the end of term - like pp said, it's extra pay! I want to get a chat with the sub who's been doing my mat leave to see how my class fared, get soem stuff sorted for September, have a refresh of the old memory!