1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to work early from mat leave

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Vitalistics, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Vitalistics

Vitalistics New commenter

Hi all,

I took maternity leave early January this year.

I'd like to return to work just before the Christmas holidays to get my holiday pay.

I have requested part time work and am awaiting the school's reply. The date I have given for part time is early January 2021.

Can I request returning to work earlier so around early December so that I would work full time the month of December and then hopefully switch to part time in January?

Is that possible?

2. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Your flexible working request can start changes to your contract on any specified date although many women specify the date as "upon return from maternity leave". You are also allowed to return to work whenever you like within the 52 weeks so, in theory, yes you could do this.

The school might find it a bit tricky with timetabling though and if you show them that full time working is possible for you, they might well look harder for a reason to deny you part time work.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

This thread is presumably superceded by your new one.

(People have successfully returned on the first day of the summer holiday and then gone part-time from September, so it is possible, but I can't see a school agreeing mid-year: if they get rid of the maternity cover teacher in December it might be harder to get them to take on the part-time post in January. It would be fairly confusing for the kids, too.)