1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to work earlier than planned after ML - query

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by willvandom, May 23, 2011.

1. Hi - I don't want to stir up controversy but am seeking an answer as my union haven't bothered to phone me back. I originally planned to return from ML on September 1st, but now feel I need to return earlier. Firstly, do my school have to allow me to return earlier (provided I give them 21 days notice)? Secondly, do I have to return before the summer holidays or could I nominate the first day of the holidays as my return to work date? I know most people go back a few weeks before hand; I did not choose to do this as I didn't want to mess up my cover's summer term and wanted the summer properly off with my baby, but circumstances have now changed. However, obviously not having to arrange childcare for a week or so in July would be better for me and my cover would probably be paid more then too. Thanks for any advice.

2. Hi - I don't want to stir up controversy but am seeking an answer as my union haven't bothered to phone me back. I originally planned to return from ML on September 1st, but now feel I need to return earlier. Firstly, do my school have to allow me to return earlier (provided I give them 21 days notice)? Secondly, do I have to return before the summer holidays or could I nominate the first day of the holidays as my return to work date? I know most people go back a few weeks before hand; I did not choose to do this as I didn't want to mess up my cover's summer term and wanted the summer properly off with my baby, but circumstances have now changed. However, obviously not having to arrange childcare for a week or so in July would be better for me and my cover would probably be paid more then too. Thanks for any advice.

3. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

AFAIK you can nominate whatever day you like to return to work. If your EDD was in August, your latest possible return to work would have to be 12 months later, so bang in the middle of the holidays.
    I don't know about changing what you previously said, though.

4. You are absolutely entitled to nominate any day for your return, including a holiday day.
    You can change your mind about when you go back provided you haven't sent off the form (the early return from maternity leave one - you should have received it from your LEA) stating when you intend to return. You take the form in to work, get it signed by your Head and then send it to the LEA. This has to be 3 weeks from your intended return to work.
    If you have sent back the form to the LEA, had it signed by work and the Head thinks you are coming back later, I have absolutely no idea what you would do except go in to work and beg! Or perhaps do a few KIT days all in one go!

5. I never had that form butI was told I could put in writing the dateI planned to return to work at least 8 weeks earlier than that date. I went back on the first day of the summer holidays last year and it was all fine. I gave a letter in around about this time last year.

6. yes you can nominate the first day of the holidays and yes you can give a minimum of 3 weeks' notice. [​IMG]

7. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

I had thought you could go back on the first day of a holiday. I phoned the NUT who told me they didn't know if you could - very helpful!
    My school told me no. "Our school is closed from 23rd December, to get paid during the holiday you need to return to work from Monday 20th December"
    Thoughts??

8. I think schools try to keep it quiet (and I wish I'd been cannier at working out my rights this time last year, but there you go..), but you can return any day you like. I just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone for replying and helping me (My union - NASUWT - were pretty useless with the advice too!). My request for flexible working was turned down and I think I am going to return to work earlier than I originally said, in order to get more pay, as I will be doing a heck of a lot of work over the summer in order to get things sorted to cope with my current terms. I will then leave at Christmas. Can't wait! Thanks for all your help.

9. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

I am furious...do you think there is anything I can do about being told I had to return before the holidays in order to be paid over the holidays if this is not the case?

10. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

Also...I phoned the NUT to find out if what I was being told was correct and they told me "I don't know"

11. Jodi- was it last Christmas that this happened? Your HT is certainly in the wrong as far as I am aware but I am not sure what, if anything, you can do about it now. If it is for the coming December then you can certainly give the first day of the hol as your return date- as others on here have said, it is ENTIRELY UP TO YOU. Sorry if that's no help- you're right to be furious though! My maternity leave this year is starting on September 4th when term starts and that's expected and allowed. My colleague- SMT- returned on the first day of this half term holiday- again, expected and allowed!

12. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

Yes, it was last Christmas. I desperately wanted every possible last day I could with my son as I have returned full time. I researched it, asked the NUT (who were useless) and then got that back in writing. Grrrr

13. atwoodfan

atwoodfan New commenter

If you want to, you could always make a complaint, but be important about working out what the desired outcome is. Certainly you could make HR aware that the advice given was wrong / inaccurate / misleading and request it is made clearer in the mat policy for the school. Not sure what else a complaint would achieve. Disappointing the unions were so unhelpful - I would also want to get them to become better informed etc. etc.