1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to work and paying maternity back

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by chocolatelover, Mar 4, 2016.

1. chocolatelover

chocolatelover New commenter

hi.
    I had my first baby in January and told work I would go back in July. I am now thinking of applying for new jobs to start in September.
    Does anyone know if I can work for 8/9 weeks (until 31st August) and then physically pay back the last 4/5 weeks pay that I will owe the school? Or is it an all or noting situation? Work 13 weeks or pay it back!?

2. dt201

dt201 Occasional commenter

I think you'd have to pay it all back. Could you ask to return 4 weeks earlier instead?

3. chocolatelover

chocolatelover New commenter

My baby would still be very young and breastfeeding. Im already having a very short maternity I don't want to miss out on more when he is little.
    Thanks for your reply.

4. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

You'd have to ask about this but I think sometimes if you stay with the same local authority or same academy chain then it could count as continuous service for maternity pay reasons. Worth asking anyway!

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Pro rata repayment of the enhanced maternity pay as you suggest is pretty much unheard of.

The 13 weeks return agreement in exchange for the enhanced maternity pay, but do note that the 13 weeks return period is a minimum and that the usual resignation dates do apply.