1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to work after suicide attempt

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by phoenixkay, Feb 4, 2019.

1. phoenixkay

phoenixkay New commenter

I suppose I'm looking for advice.

I attempted suicide over the Christmas break, ended in hospital on drips and receiving medical treatment. I'm now physically well but still mentally unwell. I had previously spoken to HR about my depression which has been ongoing since my early teens, but maintained that work helped keep me sane and occupied. It is not an issue with work.

I'm seeing my gp regularly, on medication and seeing a psychiatrist. I'm also being assessed for bipolar. I'm trying to conquer my demonsdy. My sicknote is due to run out this week and I have an appointment with OH.

Work know I'm off work with low mood. My question is do I tell them about the suicide attempt? What are the repercussions, if any, if I do disclose everything? Do I tell them about possible bipolar? I Love my job and I don't want anything to stop me from doing something I love. I know I'm in a dark place right now and I'm struggling but when I'm stood in front of the kids I'm who they need me to be and I always have been. I want to go back to work, I just don't know how much information about my personal life I should share with HR, OH, the Head and my HoD.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It's making me feel sick thinking about it.
    Thanks

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

3. phoenixkay

phoenixkay New commenter

I haven't. I didn't know about it. Thank you

4. phoenixkay

phoenixkay New commenter

I contacted them and they only deal with counselling queries and were unable to help me

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

So sorry that you're going through hard times at the moment.
    Personally, I'd be very wary of giving an employer too much detail about an illness. Do they really need to know the ins and ours if your depression, especially as it is not work-related and therefore not something that they need to make provision for in terms of workplace adjustments?

Are you in a Union? Why not ring them and ask for advice. Your GP might also be someone to advise on whether to just restrict things to the general information on the sick notes.

I can't see that your employer gains anything by knowing and it could alter their attitude to you. I suppose it comes down to whether full disclosure would be of any benefit to you. You might eventually decide that you want them to know but,seriously, making that decision now, when you're still struggling mentally, is not advisable.
    Perhaps you need more opportunities to talk about recent events. Use trusted family and friends. Use this thread or the Personal one (read by more Tessers). Use the Samaritans at times of crisis.
    Thinking of you. Remember that, whatever your condition is, you have lived without the burden of suicidal thoughts and actions for most of your life and that will be your future status too when you get over this current hurdle.​

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. SheikhAbdulFashion

SheikhAbdulFashion New commenter

Tell your employer (if you haven't already) as a long-term health condition, such as bi-polar, requires your employer to make 'reasonable adjustments' (a legal term). Beware though, I am not a lawyer!! You do need to tell them.
    Speak to, or join and speak to a union.
    Hope it all goes well from here. The only way is up I've heard.