1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to work after serious illness

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by SleighBelle, Jan 13, 2020.

1. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Hello everyone :)

I'm due to return to work in the next week or so, after seven months off. I was very ill and in intensive care for nearly a month. While stress wasn't the root cause of my illness, it certainly made things worse in the run up to being admitted to hospital.

I am SLT, and was previously non-class-based, DSL, core subject leader and responsible for attendance, assessment and behaviour management. I also did core subject booster lessons.

Occupational Health have said for my phased return to be three half-days for the first week, then build up an extra half day as each week goes by until I'm back full time. What would be reasonable in terms of picking up responsibilities during this time?

I'm worried that I'll take on too much and that the Head (who has incredible drive and motivation, but lives for the job only) will expect me to just go back to normal immediately. I am meeting him on Friday morning to discuss it and want to be prepared!

Also, does anyone know what happens with my pay when I do return? I'm on half pay now the 6 months has passed. Do I get paid only for the proportion of the week worked, or do I go back to full pay once the phased return starts?

Thanks!

2. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

Do not let them expect too much from you as you will still be fragile.
    Look after yourself and if it's becoming too much speak to a union advisor, or occupational health.
    Wishing you all the best for your recovery.