1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to work after maternity

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by skellig1182, Jun 18, 2019.

1. skellig1182

skellig1182 Established commenter

Hey everyone,

I just have a quick question regarding returning to work after maternity.

I started my leave on 3rd of June. My head asked me roughly when I would be back because they wanted to put an end date on the maternity contract for the person covering me. I just said around May half term.

If I decided to go back at Easter and notified them, would I be able to or do would the head be able to refuse me coming back until the 52 weeks are done?xx

2. chevonanc

chevonanc New commenter

Hi skellig1182. You do not have to take the full 52 weeks leave and your school cannot force you to do so. It is normal practice for you to give an indication of your return date before your maternity leave starts but this can be amended by you giving the school not less than 8 weeks written notice. This link to the gov.uk website has all of the information you need: https://www.gov.uk/maternity-pay-leave/leave Congrats and enjoy your time off!

agathamorse likes this.
  3. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 New commenter

As i understand it you can return at any point before your 52 week maternity leave is up after the two weeks following birth. You will need to check the policy of your school on the notification period you are required to give.

4. scott1980

scott1980 Occasional commenter

Mine employed for the year and I gave a month's notice of my impending return. They knew roughly after Feb half term but I returned April following a difficult birth and savings lasting longer. Congratulations by the way.

5. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

If you are under the STP&CD, you only need to give 21 days notice of your return to work, otherwise your employer should assume you will return after 52 weeks.