1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to work after maternity

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by Ally3302, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Ally3302

Ally3302 New commenter

Quick question...
    Due to accrued holiday entitlement, I am not due to return to work until the end of may (although will technically go back onto payroll mid April). Would it be a reasonable request to ask to return half way through a term? This would give the cover teacher chance to finish reports and the bulk of the work that she has done with the class and I could tie up any loose ends for the final 5 weeks. I don't want to take the accrued holidays as extra pay because I would lose most of it in deductions. Plus I am breastfeeding, so kind of dreading going back to long school days without facilities to express etc

2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Providing you give the appropriate notice, you can go back whenever you like, as long as you have not exceeded the maximum period of additional maternity leave. You do not have to take accrued holiday as extra pay - you can take them when you like. My daughter's using hers to be paid for FT but to actually work three days a week and have the other two days from her accrued holiday.

The right not to experienced unfavourable treatment is extended to breastfeeding women. The school HAS to provide facilities and opportunity to express.

Ally3302 likes this.
  3. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

For similar reasons to yours, I could go back to work after the summer holidays however I am returning at the beginning of June just for 4 weeks then I'll be paid through the holidays. You are entitled to go back to work when you wish. You can just be paid for accrued holidays in your wages.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Actually you can't. It is only lawful to pay someone in lieu of holiday accrued but not taken if they are dismissed.

If a woman has accrued holiday while on maternity leave, she has to be allowed and enabled to take it when she returns to work.

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Yes. People do it all the time.
    You can. Nobody can force you to take it as pay rather than holidays but it's quite normal and lots of teachers choose it over the extra days.

7. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Then it's become an agreement that suits both parties and no-one rocks the boat.

But the entitlement is for holiday, not for the payment in lieu of it.