1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to work after maternity then handing in notice

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by smell75, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am a part time teacher on maternity and I was part time before going on maternity. I was planning to return a week before the May half term. However, my husband and I have decided to give our kids a better quality of life so we are going to move to a more rural area which would mean I could not carry on working at my school.
    So that I don't have to pay back any of my maternity pay can someone clarify how may weeks a part timer has to do and if I wanted to leave in July would I have worked enough weeks? Even though you leave in July does the summer holidays until September count?
    Or should I return at the May half term, hand my notice in in August to leave at the October half term, which would mean 6 weeks of commuting an hour and a half?

2. Hi,
    I am a part time teacher on maternity and I was part time before going on maternity. I was planning to return a week before the May half term. However, my husband and I have decided to give our kids a better quality of life so we are going to move to a more rural area which would mean I could not carry on working at my school.
    So that I don't have to pay back any of my maternity pay can someone clarify how may weeks a part timer has to do and if I wanted to leave in July would I have worked enough weeks? Even though you leave in July does the summer holidays until September count?
    Or should I return at the May half term, hand my notice in in August to leave at the October half term, which would mean 6 weeks of commuting an hour and a half?

3. When I returned after maternity leave I did exactly as you describe. I came back the week before half term, immediately handed in my notice and worked until end of July. If you 'leave' in July you are still actually employed until Aug 31st (same happens if you move school - you don't miss Aug pay) However I should add that this was 10 years ago and I don't know the current number of weeks that you must work on return.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You have to do 13 weeks (at the same part-time rate as before). Count very carefully, and it may be that those have to be full calendar weeks. Returning at the beginning of half-term may be okay, but it may depend on exactly how things lie. Half-term and the summer holidays do indeed count as part of the 13.
    Make sure your resignation states "as from 31st August".

5. you have to do 13 full weeks and holidays do count. if you were full time before maternity leave then you have to do the equivalent of 13 full time weeks (so 26 weeks at 0.5 etc) or if you were part time before, you have to do the equivalent of 13 weeks at that %.