1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to Work after Maternity Leave - right to return earlier or later?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by hangerl, May 22, 2011.

1. I can't give you an answer to this but have you tried calling your LEA for advice. When I returned from Maternity leave I requested to go back earlier than I intended due to husband being made redundant and this wasn't a problem but I don't know if school is obliged by this.
    Hope you work it out.
    xx

2. Thanks, hangerl, will do on Monday, just a matter of trying to get through to the right person!

Could I also ask anyone, is it likely that the person employed as my cover will have a clause in their contract stating that they could be terminated if I return early? The least useless thing for the school would be me returning on 1st day of the school holidays in July (or thereabouts) but would that mean they'd have to pay us both over the holidays?

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

You need to give 8 weeks notice to change your date of return. If you don't give 8 weeks they can refuse to accept you back.
    Most cover has a "or return of the postholder" clause to terminate.

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

That's the national law for notification of return date post maternity.

For teachers employed under burgundy book conditions - You only need to give 21 days notice of your intent to return.
    In the case of teachers citing the first day of holidays as a return date, it is unlikely the school would pay both of you, but this is commonly acknowledged of being a side effect of supply and temporary posts.

5. Sorry - can I ask one more question? If I did go back earlier, would I have to go back before the end of the summer term, or would I be able to go back at the start of the holidays? Most people seem to have gone back for about 2 weeks in July - I did not originally plan to go back until September, because I wanted to secure a good maternity cover, but I now feel my hand has been forced. However, I'd obviously rather not mess up my cover's last weeks at school or take more pay from him/her than I have to. Thank you very much for any info.

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Stop worrying about your maternity cover person... This is your post, and the rewards for having fought to secure your permanent post is that you can give 21 days notice and go back ON ANY DATE, regardless of holidays or not. As someone who went back to school in December from mat leave, I have to say I am glad I chose to go back for the last week before the holiday began - It gave me a chance to find all the belongings that had been borrowed, pinched and lost and declutter my room of all the **** that had piled up in there :)

7. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied here, Crowbob, Hangerl and DaisysLot. My request was officially refused on Thursday. I haven't decided what I will do yet, but most likely appeal, go back on my old terms, and work till December, then leave, as I know I can't deliver long-term as my job was pretty full-on (plus TLR). I spoke to my maternity cover as I wanted them to hear it from me, and they were very decent. I think I've worked out a way to be fairer to them, and even if it's a bit OTT I'd like to feel I haven't been too selfish. Can't wait to leave my less than considerate school behind, though! Thanks for your time and expertise.

8. Sorry - forgot I hadn't gone into the whole backstory here - they refused my flexible working request. I haven't yet said that I'll go back earlier but I am aware that I have the right to do that providing I give the 21 days notice. Hope that's clearer.