1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to work after Maternity Leave - letter advice please

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by WendyN, Jan 2, 2007.

1. I will soon be returning to work after Maternity Leave and I know I have to write to my Head giving at least 21 days notice. Can anyone advise me on what to include in the letter - should I include something about needing to leave school before a certain time each evening (for childcare reasons) and also something about needing a quiet, private room (for expressing) and somewhere suitable to store the milk, or is this best left for a verbal meeting?
    Also, as I intend to return after half term is it wrong to give the Monday of half term as my return date? (I will already have used up my 6 months paid leave)

2. I will soon be returning to work after Maternity Leave and I know I have to write to my Head giving at least 21 days notice. Can anyone advise me on what to include in the letter - should I include something about needing to leave school before a certain time each evening (for childcare reasons) and also something about needing a quiet, private room (for expressing) and somewhere suitable to store the milk, or is this best left for a verbal meeting?
    Also, as I intend to return after half term is it wrong to give the Monday of half term as my return date? (I will already have used up my 6 months paid leave)

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I believe it is 28 days notice required to return other than at the latest possible date.

And yes, it is perfectly legitimate to request that the first day of half term be your return to work date.

4. Interesting, my letter from payroll/hr dept clearly states 21 days notice, but govt website says 28!

I am still interested in how other teachers have approached returning to work and ensuring things run smoothly. I know at my school a previous teacher who returned never stayed longer than 1 hour after school even on staff meeting days but I don't know about any other teachers who have continued to breastfeed or needed to express milk on their return. (Our school has a real lack of space and the only private room we had is now used for music lessons on a daily basis, we also 'enjoy' open-plan classrooms!) I wasn't treated brilliantly whilst I was pregnant and I intend to stick up for myself and my rights when I return (but I loathe confrontation so I want to do it nicely - if such a thing is possible!)

5. OK, how does this sound for my letter - is it too short? too nice?

Dear Head,

I am writing to give notice of my intention to return to work before the end of my Maternity Leave.
    I will be returning to work on Monday 12th February 2007. I look forward to having my return to work meeting with yourself to discuss my needs as a returning mother.
    Yours sincerely,

WendyN

6. Sounds fine to me. Was a while ago when I did mine so I can't remember what I said but I'm sure it was quite short and sweet like yours. Afterall there isn't much to say - other than that you intend to return to work early - is there?

Hope all goes well on your return....good luck

7. thanks everyone; it looks like I needlessly prepared as HT is happy, just the governors to ok it now.

8. probably just as well I'm on ML still as I've posted on the wrong thread - whoops!