1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to work after maternity leave but to a different school!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mel9285, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Does anyone know if you loose your pay if you do this? I am due to go back to my current school in July but I have found a job closer to home I really want starting September. Can I do this it will I loose pay? I know you have to go back for 3months but if it's in same la is that ok? Thanks

2. Does anyone know if you loose your pay if you do this? I am due to go back to my current school in July but I have found a job closer to home I really want starting September. Can I do this it will I loose pay? I know you have to go back for 3months but if it's in same la is that ok? Thanks

3. When we enquired about this for a member of our own staff, we were told that it was up to the two schools involved assuming that they were within the same LEA and that there could be an expectation on the school agreeing to take you on to componstate the other school for your departure. Don't know how much this is true as my understanding is it is the LEA which pay your maternity leave not your school and a friend of mine who couldn't go back to her school, was helped to secure a contract elsewhere. I would speak to your educational personal department and your union (to get a balanced view) so that you are fully informed before you get involved in the process. Don't forget as well that August actually counts as a month and that you don't leave employment at a school until the 31st August so perhaps at the most you are going to be a month out.
    As a mum of two little ones, who is full time, I can't emphasise enough how being close by is a real advantage to me and that adding a journey on the end of a long day when all I want to do is get home for tea and bath time, is something that would make it very hard for me to work.

Personally, I would check everything out quickly so you can make plans for a successful and smooth return whereever that might be.

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Good advice from Bubbles, especially:
    So if it came to it, you could consider the option of going back at the start of the June half term holiday to just meet the 13 week criterion.

5. Thnks so much for your advice ladies. And you are right having a little girl has totally changed my view on everything. I currently drive 45mins to 1hr to school so it's nearly 2hours a my day I could spend with my little girl. I need a job closer to home otherwise I will have to go part time because I don't want to only see her for half an hour a day and then put her to bed :-( never knew I would feel like this! Eek

6. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

ladies?!

7. Apologies!! I'm used to writing on my baby centre forums where it is ladies haha. Sorry! See what I mean I'm just not in school mode!! Sorry again ;-)

8. I'm not sure about the pay issue but thought I'd reply as a mum who has a similar commute. I won't fib and say it's not hard at times but it is certainly 'do-able'.
    I completely changed the way in which I work when I returned after maternity leave. I am more focused in school (less social chatting) using breaktimes for planning, marking etc so I can leave at 4pm. I then get home by 5pm and have a good chunk of playtime before meal and then bedtime. I then work in the evening when children are in bed and have a strict no working at the weekend rule. We make the absolute most of every weekend and holiday and it definitely gets easier as children get older.
    One thing I worried about was losing the bond with my daughter. She is now 3 and I can promise you, it doesn't happen. Mummy is still the best despite going to work with a long drive!
    Another point for you to consider is the added workload/stress involved with starting at a new school. Would the shorter journey compensate for the longer hours you'd need to spend establishing yourself in a new school? What if the culture at the new school was start at 7 leave at 6? There are schools like this. Maybe better the devil you know?
    Good luck with whatever you decide. X

9. The school I am at now has that ethos start at 7 leave at 6 that is the norm!! Decisions decisions!!