1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to work after maternity leave- applying for part time advice needed please

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by CCEnglish12, Dec 8, 2019.

1. CCEnglish12

CCEnglish12 New commenter

Any advice please, I am returning to work after maternity leave next Spring after a year off and I'm hoping to be granted a part time contract. I have written the request below but I am not sure if I need to add the bullet point list as suggested by this thread: https://www.tes.com/blog/guide-going-part-time

Dear ,

I would like to apply to work a pattern that is different to my normal working pattern under my right provided in law. I would wish this to begin on .

I confirm that I meet the eligibility criteria of a minimum of 26 weeks continuous employment as a direct employee, not as an agency worker. I also confirm that I have not made a request to work flexibly under this right during the past 12 months.

The proposed new working pattern that I am applying for is a 0.6 hours contract with the suggested working hours of 3 full days a week; Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday with the prospect of doing a job share with another colleague who would also like to request part time hours. This could possibly be arranged in a similar way to other part time members of the department who job share, with Wednesday being an overlap to allow us to communicate information about our classes.

I have decided to make this request as I have the main responsibility of childcare for my daughter and I feel that returning to work on a full-time basis would not be the best for her. I believe that this will not impact negatively on the school as it could work through arranging a job share with another colleague. This would reduce any negative impact on the school as my skills as an English teacher would be retained and the children would also benefit from the skills and experience of two teachers. Our students are also used to being taught by at least two teachers therefore, a job share would not be disruptive to their learning. The school could also use this as an opportunity to recruit somebody to the department with skills that complement the existing team. I would also be able to achieve a better work-life balance and be more motivated in my teaching.

The majority of my colleagues would not be impacted but any possible issues could be overcome by developing strong communication which I believe is already a strength in our department. I am also prepared to stay longer on the overlapped working day with my job share partner to look at planning, marking and data for shared classes.

Yours sincerely

These are the bullet points in the guide:
    I believe that this will not impact negatively on the school. In particular I believe that the following business reasons set out in law for refusing my request are not applicable in this case:

• Additional costs that would be unacceptable
    • An inability to reorganise work among existing staff.
    • An inability to recruit additional staff.
    • The change will have a detrimental impact on quality.
    • The change would have a detrimental effect on the business’s ability to meet customer demand.
    • There would be a detrimental impact on performance.
    • There is insufficient work during the periods I propose to work.
    • There are planned structural changes, and the flexible working changes may not fit with these plans.
    I know they are 'nice and legal' but I'm not sure if this comes across as too cold as our Head normally is quite good about these things?

My second request for advice is about KIT days. Did anyone find these beneficial? Would you recommend opting to do them in a block or have odd days agreed? Once again any advice will be greatly appreciated. TIA

2. CCEnglish12

Note after rereading I have altered this section to read:

I believe that this change could work through arranging a job share with another colleague. This would reduce any negative impact on the school as my skills as an English teacher would be retained and the children would also benefit from the skills and experience of two teachers.

3. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I think it seems fine!

No real advice on KIT days. I guess it really depends on your childcare. I'm doing mine dotted through starting with one on the January INSET day and then I'll probably do a few for my baby's settling sessions at nursery.

4. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 Occasional commenter

On the whole i think your letter is fine, the only part i would change is the first sentence of the fourth paragraph "I have decided to make this request as I have the main responsibility of childcare for my daughter and I feel that returning to work on a full-time basis would not be the best for her." You could keep the first part but i wouldn't add that returning full time would not be best for your daughter. Your school does not have to take that into account, i would focus more on the benefits to the school rather than you and your daughter.

Also make sure your read your schools flexible working request policy and ensure that you have covered all of the points that they want you to include. If there are any negatives to your request i wouldn't not include them but make sure you provide a solution, this demonstrates that you are really considering how this would best work for them.

With regards to KIT days i complete all 10 of mine and i spread this out over about 7 weeks (4 weeks of 1 day a week and 3 weeks of 2 days a week). I found this really helped ease me back into work.

Good luck with your request.

5. CCEnglish12

Thank you for your reply. This is really helpful.

6. CCEnglish12

Thank you so much for your reply. I felt completely clueless writing the letter so the guide was helpful but I felt it was really cold. I understand this with wanting to cover your back but our Head is normally very accommodating and two people in our department already have this kind of timetable worked out between them so I'm hoping things are approved in our favour.

Thanks for advice about KIT days too. I'm currently in the process of arranging them.

7. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 Occasional commenter

I understand that but i would just be cautious about starting off with why it would benefit you/your daughter. If you want to include it focus on the benefit to them first and then highlight why this is important to you after.

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You could say that by working part-time, you will have a better work-family balance, enabling you to fulfil your teaching responsibilities with greater energy and focus. (Or something like that - just convey that they'll get a good teacher 3 days a week instead of an exhausted one for 5 days.)