1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to work after a suicide attempt

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Marshmallow99, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Marshmallow99

Marshmallow99 New commenter

I spent the weekend in A&E after a failed attempt to take my life. I have taken today off with a ‘vomiting bug’ but will have to go back this week. I just don’t know how to do it - at the weekend I didn’t think I would ever have to do it again.

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Rott Weiler likes this.
  3. stevewaters17

stevewaters17 New commenter

I agree. Nothing is more important than your mental health. I was going to suggest you contact the Education Support Partnership and don’t go back to school until you have support and help.

travelwings likes this.
  4. strawbs

5. Marshmallow99

I did post a reply earlier - not sure where it went. Thank you for your posts. I have seen my GP and have another appointment next week - sooner if necessary. I have been quite tearful today but did manage to get out for a short walk. Taking things an hour at a time.

strawbs likes this.
  6. strawbs

good on ya!

7. Presleygirl

Presleygirl Occasional commenter

Marshmallow glad you are seeking support, one day at a time x baby steps

8. AnotherDayTowardsRetirement

AnotherDayTowardsRetirement Occasional commenter

Stay strong my friend. Please access all the support offered to you. You are loved and needed and it is up to you to show the world what you can do and what a wonderful person you are.

emerald52 likes this.
  9. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

One step at a time. Just give yourself mini goals that you can easily achieve and reward yourself. Ask for help. Think what advice you would give a friend in a similar situation. Things will change. Thinking of you.

10. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Occasional commenter

Don’t try to rush back to work - your well being comes first. As others say, take those baby steps, keep accessing those who can help, including here.
    Take care.

emerald52 likes this.
  11. Marshmallow99

Thank you everyone. Just taking things moment by moment - sometimes it is not too bad at other times finding the strength to carry on seems impossible. Still here - still fighting to survive.

emerald52 likes this.
  12. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Marshmallow, work needs to be on the back burner for now - don't think about it. Hope your appointment with gp is useful next week, take every support they offer - medication, CBT, counselling. Your health is the most important thing here. Sending positive thoughts and a hug x

emerald52 likes this.
  13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Prioritise sleep, fresh air and a healthy diet. Your GP may prescribe an ant-depressant with sleep-inducing qualities (Mirtazipine etc).
    Things will get better and you will one day soon wonder how you possibly managed to feel like you do now.

Severe anxiety and stress hit me for the first time 18 months ago (aged 63). The first thing that my counsellor at the surgery said to me was "You will get better. You might not believe it now, but it will happen". She was right. I managed to come off my medication completely after 6 months and have not relapsed. I am much more watchful of my wellbeing now and do not accept or volunteer for all the tasks that need to be done at home or elsewhere. "Learn to say No!" was the other significant thing that I was told in counselling.

14. Saffron5

Saffron5 New commenter

Please look after yourself nothing is more important than you and your health

15. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

Glad you’re feeling better x

16. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Such good news, @charsimms. Have a great summer and I hope your post helps those who are feeling as low as you were to see that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck x