1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to Work after 8 weeks Maternity.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by emmam25, Jun 27, 2011.

1. I'm a way off yet (baby due early December) but am having to start seriously considering returning to work after 8 weeks of maternity. This is purely a financial decision. My OH is unable to find work (as a teacher) and will look after the baby so I can return to work but is it realistic to think I can be back in the classroom full-time after just 8 weeks? I'm worried about complications/ emergency c-section purely because of the financial implications if I cannot go back once full pay runs out. 50% of my pay is not enough to pay the bills let alone buy food/petrol. That's without having a baby. The stress is really getting to me and it's putting a strain on our relationship as my OH feels responsible. People keep telling me not to worry and things will sort themselves out but faced with the fact that May is the optimal time to get a teaching post (so he's missed the chance to get a job for September) and very few other job options other than supply he is getting down and I feel the burden of supporting us financially.
    The question is is it realistic to think I can go back so soon?

2. Hi. I can't say if returning after 8 weeks is feasible or not but I can say that you may be pleasantly surprised at how much you actually get in maternity pay. You will get smp on top of the 50% pay which is about £400 a month and you'll pay less in tax and ni. My advice would be to save as much as you can now, consider mortgage breaks and putting the mortgage payment aside for maternity leave. Is borrowing an option? Try to leave your options open to relieve some of the worry. Good luck x

3. Just a quick reply but didn't want to read and run- really feel for you as that would be tough. Don't forget that if you were to have an emergency c section you wouldn't be able to drive for 6 weeks- guessing you'd start mat leave as close as poss to the due date? Also- have you factored in the smp you get when on 50% pay? It's an additional £500 a month, maybe with oh doing some supply here and there you'd manage? X

4. my OH is unemployed too and we survived on the 50% part because:
    1- it's 50% plus SMP - so half your salary plus £500 a month - which worked out to 3/4 of my salary
    2- i took out a 0% credit card to buy food & petrol. i'm now paying this off but have until january to do so.

5. Obviously only you and your OH know the in's and out's of your finances, but here are a few things to consider that may or may not be helpful:
    * Your salary should increase a little in September. You could get an extra £60-£100 per month??
    * Keep in touch days - have you heard of this? You get paid a days wage for going into school for things like inset, training, planning etc. You get up to 10 of these so if you were paid about £90 for a day, 10x90 will be £900.
    *Someone mentioned a mortgage break. I don't know what this is, but sounds better than this suggestion... you can pay interest only on your mortgage for a few months so will reduce how much you're paying each month.
    *Save, save, save now. There's lots of websites like moneysavingexpert on tips on how to save i,e on bills, vouchers for shopping, cutting back on things etc. Don't know about anyone else, but for food shopping, as we're not fussed about what we eat, we literally just walk down the middle aisle of the supermarket and buy the bogoff's/special offers. Buy in bulk i.e big boxes of cereal, toilet rolls etc. Drink more water and less bought drinks!! Every little helps!!
    * Social - if ever we get a chance to eat dinner out, we always use vouchers. OH has cut down on alcohol, so nights out are cheap. He drives, so no taxi fayres.
    I know that the last couple of points are minor things, but you'd be surprised how much you save on little things. I rarely buy clothes for myself and just buy whatever is on offer in supermarkets, cheaper high st stores etc.
    Get your finance person at school to calculate your maternity pay each month and you may be pleasantly surprised at how much half pay+smp could work out.

6. It is not impossible, but people do manage it...
    However, as others have said- maternity pay came as a pleasant suprise and was nowhere near as little as I thought it would be.

Your husband may be able to get supply, also advertise yourselves as private tutors... That can work and can fit around baby... I used to take my daughter to sessions and the mother would take her for a walk.. Hourly rate is good, paid for our food.
    it worked really well, albeit, not very professional! I got quite a lot of enquiries... put cards up in local shops, local papers and google advertising pages... there are loads of places online to put an ad up.
    Save, save and save some more now. Your husband could look at temping agencies as well- every penny helps.
    I did find it far harder leaving my daughter than I ever thought, so it may be possible but won't be easy, nothing can prepare you for motherhood.
    While he is looking for a job, you could advertise his services as a handy man- not sure how good he is at DIY or manual labour but every penny helps.

HTH

7. Thanks everyone for your replies, I am going to try and find out exactly what my maternity pay will be, I'm Main Scale 6 tho so no increment increase and does anyone know how the increased pension contributions will affect me if I'm on maternity? As for saving, we have cut back on every luxury we can when OH lost his job so not sure we can tighten our belts much more but suppose we could just eat less and walk more! Sadly he's no clue with DIY but could maybe tutor although is there much call for this over the summer now exams have finished? I ask because I am clueless as I have never tutored before!

8. emmam25 - you have an inbox message

9. I feel for you. I think you will find it very hard to go back to work after 8 weeks. What if the baby is born 2 weeks late and then you have to have a C/S? Have you thought about how you want to feed the baby? It IS possible (just about) to express enough milk to feed a baby and work full-time, but I can't imagine many opportunities in the school day for popping off to express milk... Of course you may be happy to use formula, but motherhood will change you so profoundly I don't think you can be sure of anything until the baby arrives.

Is there no way your other half could do another job than teaching - temping? just for a few weeks so that you could go back after four or 6 months rather than 2?

10. Are you eligable to move up to UPS1? (You just need to have had two successful performance management cycles.) I had my move to
    UPS 2 backdated as it wasn't sorted until the end of the PM cycle in
    October and then they accounted for it in my maternity pay as I should have been receiving it at the time they calcluated my maternity pay. (I started maternity leave at the beginning of December)

11. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

I'd echo those who say it might be very difficult. I know a lady who had to go back when her baby was 8 weeks old and she was very, very distressed- pretty much PND I think. Also the feeding issue.
    Does your OH have to get teaching work? Surely at this time, any money coming in would be useful? It may be that you do go back and it's fine, but if he could get a temping job, or labouring, or in Sainsbury's or whatever, then you'd have that as a fallback position in case things don't go to plan and you can't go back when you think you will.

12. I am in a very similar position as I live on my own and there is only me paying my mortgage so I will have to go back to work quite soon after the baby is born. I am actually on a non-teaching sabbatical next year so thankfully won't be going back to something as stressful as school but I know it will be hard. That said if needs must then needs must. I know plenty of people who have gone back to work early because of finances and their babies are no worse off for it, it is a fact of life for some of us I'm afraid.

13. Thanks for advice everyone, I guess the only answer is as wait and see how it goes and manage as best we can!

14. I don't think people were saying babies were worse off, more that it is harder than you think to leave a baby- hormones are very powerful!

Private tutoring, you probably won't get much now- but no harm placing the ads, but September is good time to start, the hourly rate is pretty good. A friend advertises directly to a local private school and gets work that way.

May be a case of applying for any job for husband, even if it to tide you over, supply work is an option.
    Hope you can find a way though, it must be stressful worrying.
    And sell anything you can on ebay!