1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to work after 2 years need advice on writing cv and a personal statement

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by janniejoanne, May 30, 2017.

1. janniejoanne

janniejoanne New commenter

Hello, I am hoping that someone could give me some advice. I qualified as an Early Years Teacher in 2008 and worked in the same school for 5 years. Spending 3 years as the Nursery teacher and 2 years as a Reception teacher. I left the school on an agreed reference. My question would be will the agreed reference effect my chance in getting a teaching job in the Early Years. I am also looking for any tips on writing supporting letters/personal statements and a new CV. Many thanks.

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

As it appears to be about 4 years since you last taught you would probably need a more up to date reference as well. Presumably you have seen your agreed reference and therefore know what it says. Unless it says something terrible there is no reason why it should be problematic for a future employer.
    Regarding g cv, if you looking for teaching work most jobs are via application as per safer recruitment guidance so you could be wasting your time with a cv. Personal statements should relate to the job as you should show how you meet the person spec. You could jot down some key points about your experience in preparation though. Think what you did, enjoyed, extra responsibilities you had, your employment gap if there is one, what your ethos is etc. Then when you see a job you want to apply for you tweak it accordingly.

janniejoanne likes this.
  3. janniejoanne

janniejoanne New commenter

Thank you Grumbleweed it was two years ago this July went I left teaching and have done a few days supply in the EYFS over the last few weeks to see if much has changed. Thank you for all the advice. Now to start filling in job applications, the last time I did this I applied for over 100 jobs and has 15 interviews before I got my teaching post. Fingers crossed it won't take as long xx

4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

@janniejoanne Take a look on the Jobseekers forum and scroll through the most recent few pages - there should be many responses on there to help you as these are FAQs on that forum. Good luck!