1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Returning to work advice

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by nimmity, Jan 1, 2012.

1. At the end of last term I was signed off work with stress for a month. Now I'm mentally preparing myself for going back to work in a few days and I'm getting rather nervous.
    I don't know where my classes got to so I can't plan any lessons. I'm assuming that my first few days back are going to be pretty chaotic which doesn't help to keep me calm.
    I know they are going to ask how I am and what they can do to help but I don't really know the answer to either question!

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with returning to work after having time off. What am I likely to come up against?

2. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I presume they haven't offered you a phased return - they seem to do this at our school, and people have been able to have a TA with them for a while or have a reduced timetable. In one case a MOS did not have to do her break duties. Will you be having a back to work meeting? If they don't support you for the first week or two you might well end up in the same boat. Does your union have any suggestions?

3. A phased return to work is usually the route people take after an absence. To put you straight in at the deep end will be a bit of a shock for you. as you say, you will not know where the students are in the units.