1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

returning to UK education system after being abroad

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by ms8rf, Dec 10, 2019.

1. ms8rf

ms8rf New commenter

Hello everyone,
    I am a UK qualified teacher with over 15 years of experience in Primary and Early Years. I have recently returned from 10 years overseas, where I have been working in a British Curriculum school as an early years teacher and Head of Foundation Stage. Now back in the UK, I am considering applying for an advisory role, however am concerned that I may be out of touch with current and specifically local issues and challenges.
    What would you say are the top 5 issues faced by early years' (and primary) settings in state and private schools and nurseries?
    I would really appreciate any advice or experiences you can share. :)

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Gosh only limit to 5?
    There aren't a huge number of advisory roles out there now unless you go for your own business which is a different story.
    I'll kick off for the PVI sector.
    1 lack of funding
    2 lack of well qualified staff...difficulties in recruitment and retention
    3. Poor pay, long hours
    4 lack of being valued/poor understanding of the importance of early years.
    5. Poor training and EY expertise, EY qualifications not robust enough.
    Oh and did I mention funding?

You'll find all the above link to make a viscious circle.

ms8rf and littlejackhorner like this.
  3. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

Agree with all that @grumbleweed has said. Also in my experience the PVI can struggle with children with SEND. They just don't have the same level of support that schools have. Also PVI inspection is carried out by different people than schools so judgements can be unexpected when compared to the state sector.
    For schools the new inspection framework is big concern.
    Be aware that local authority jobs now are commercial services. They need to make enough money to pay for staff so you may well find yourself planning and delivering training that you don't agree with but pulls in the money. I left the job I had as an EYFS advisor for this very reason. You may find it's okay but you need to go for it with a full understanding of what it entails.

ms8rf likes this.